Bethany Hamilton, the subject of the 2011 feature Soul Surfer starring AnnaSophia Robb, is getting into the acting business herself. She will join the cast of Alcon Entertainment’s Dolphin Tale 2, the sequel to 2011’s Dolphin Tale, which grossed almost $100 million worldwide. Warner Bros has already set a September 19 release for the follow-up. Alcon Entertainment is back for the sequel as are Morgan Freeman, Harry Connick Jr, Ashley Judd, and Kris Kristofferson. Charles Martin Smith will direct again, and real-life rescued dolphin Hope will portray herself. So will Hamilton, who has become a source of inspiration to millions after she was bitten at age 13 by a 14-foot tiger shark while surfing off Kauai’s North Shore, severing her left arm. She was back in the water a month after the attack and went on to win a national title, and eventually became a pro surfer. Her story of faith and determination spawned the book Soul Surfer, on which the movie was based. Dolphin Tale 2 is shooting now in Florida.
Bethany Hamilton Of ‘Soul Surfer’ Fame Joins Warner Bros’ ‘Dolphin Tale 2’
What's Hot on Deadline
Sony Pictures Confirms Quentin Tarantino Deal; Margot Robbie, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio Circling
Jeffrey Tambor Accused By 'Transparent' Actress Of Sexual Harassment; Actor Admits "Flaws," Says "Misinterpreted"
'The Royals' Female Cast & Crew Members Speak Out, Accuse Showrunner Mark Schwahn Of Sexual Harassment
Latest Film News
- Warner Bros Launches China Exchange Program With Casting, Management Focus
- Adam McKay Reteams With Composer Nicholas Britell On Two Projects
- Ben Affleck Calls Harvey Weinstein “Sleazy”, Admires Rose McGowan
- Sony Pictures Confirms Quentin Tarantino Deal; Margot Robbie, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio Circling
- Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In ‘The Blacklist,’ Joins Spike Lee’s ‘Black Klansman…
- Monty Python's ‘Life of Brian’ Scores Theatrical Release With Trafalgar Deal