Bethany Hamilton, the subject of the 2011 feature Soul Surfer starring AnnaSophia Robb, is getting into the acting business herself. She will join the cast of Alcon Entertainment’s Dolphin Tale 2, the sequel to 2011’s Dolphin Tale, which grossed almost $100 million worldwide. Warner Bros has already set a September 19 release for the follow-up. Alcon Entertainment is back for the sequel as are Morgan Freeman, Harry Connick Jr, Ashley Judd, and Kris Kristofferson. Charles Martin Smith will direct again, and real-life rescued dolphin Hope will portray herself. So will Hamilton, who has become a source of inspiration to millions after she was bitten at age 13 by a 14-foot tiger shark while surfing off Kauai’s North Shore, severing her left arm. She was back in the water a month after the attack and went on to win a national title, and eventually became a pro surfer. Her story of faith and determination spawned the book Soul Surfer, on which the movie was based. Dolphin Tale 2 is shooting now in Florida.
Bethany Hamilton Of ‘Soul Surfer’ Fame Joins Warner Bros’ ‘Dolphin Tale 2′
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Mark Gordon To Receive Producers Guild's Norman Lear Award
- James Caan, Kevin Dillon, Sam Huntington Top Crackle Feature 'The Throwaways'
- NBC News To Air First Live Broadcast Of Global Citizen Festival Featuring Jay-Z, Carrie Underwood, The Roots
- USA's 'Benched' To Premiere October 28: Video
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Charles Dance Hints That Tywin Lannister Might Be Alive
- James Franco, Seth Rogen Celebrate Jimmy Fallon's 40th In Their Birthday Suits: VIDEO