Score another victory for James Cameron in his slew of Avatar lawsuits. The writer-director of the 2009 blockbuster yesterday prevailed in a suit brought against him by Eric Ryder, who claimed that Cameron had used his ideas in the film. LA Superior Court Judge Susan Bryant-Deason granted Cameron’s motion for summary judgment, thereby dismissing Ryder’s suit in its entirety. The judge ruled that it was undisputed that Avatar was independently created by Cameron. “Sadly, it seems that whenever a successful motion picture is produced, there are people who try to ‘get rich quick’ by claiming their ideas were used”, Cameron said in a statement today released by Fox. “Several such claims have been asserted in connection with Avatar. I am grateful that our courts have consistently found these claims to be meritless.” In February, Cameron won a case against Gerald Morawski, who accused Cameron of ripping off his ideas for the pic. Among the lawsuits pending though is Bryant Moore’s $2.5 billion lawsuit against Cameron and Fox claiming that Avatar was stolen from his scripts. A federal judge in March granted a motion to dismiss the breach of implied contract claim in Moore’s 2011 suit but he did not dismiss Moore’s copyright claims. That trial date is pending.
Another James Cameron ‘Avatar’ Lawsuit Dismissed
What's Hot on Deadline
Oprah Winfrey Answers Call & Joins Clooneys, Katzenbergs, Spielberg And Capshaw In Donating $500,000 To March For Our Lives: Who's Next?
'Black Panther' Goes Wild: At $241.96M Superhero Owns 2nd Best 4-Day Opening & Defeats 'Last Jedi' - Update
Latest Film News
- Duplass Brothers Contest Finalist Film ‘Lost Bayou’ Sets Cast; Kristanna Loken Cast In ‘University Intelligence…
- ‘Paddington’s Paul King In Talks To Direct Live-Action ‘Pinocchio’ For Disney
- California’s IMDb Age Law Violates First Amendment, Federal Court Rules; SAG-AFTRA “Extremely Disappointed”…
- Oprah Winfrey Answers Call & Joins Clooneys, Katzenbergs, Spielberg And Capshaw In Donating $500,000 To March For Our Lives…
- ‘Ismael’s Ghosts’ Trailer: Marion Cotillard Haunts A Former Lover In Arnaud Desplechin Drama
- ‘Cowboy Ninja Viking’ Adds ‘Thor: Ragnarok’ Scribe Eric Pearson