The Canadian short-story writer today became just the 13th woman to win the Nobel Prize for literature. Hollywood hasn’t done much with Alice Munro’s vast catalog, but her short “The Bear Came Over The Mountain” was adapted and directed by Sarah Polley as Away From Her, which starred Julie Christie and Gordon Pinsent and debuted at Toronto in 2006. It landed two Oscar noms: one for Christie and one for Polley’s screenplay.
Author Alice Munro Wins Nobel Prize; Short Story Basis For Oscar Nominee ‘Away From Her’
Trending Now on Deadline
'Black-ish', 'Grey's Anatomy', 'Castle', 'The Goldbergs', 'Modern Family', 'Once Upon A Time' & Others Get Extra Episodes At ABC
More From Team
- UPDATE: Warner Bros Moves Up 'Entourage' Release By A Week
- Terry Keenan Dead: Longtime Business Reporter-Anchor At CNN, CNBC & Fox News
- Film Independent Spirit Awards 2015 To Be Broadcast Live On IFC
- Lyndsy Fonseca Joins 'Marvel's Agent Carter'
- Jim Parsons To Star In Animated 'Elf' Holiday Special On NBC
- 'Madam Secretary' Coming To U.K. On Sky Living; NBCUniversal International Television Production Pacts With TV3 Group Ireland…