Amazon Studios is nothing if not ambitious in its foray into drama. One of its first two drama pilots, Chris Carter’s The After, is a thriller that takes place at the moment of apocalypse. Now the digital studio has put in development Grand Ave, a large-scale period drama set in 1910 Los Angeles. Written by Ian Goldberg (Once Upon A Time) based on a story he penned with producer Jessika Borsiczky (House Of Lies), Grand Ave chronicles the explosive, overnight transformation of L.A. from small town to iconic American city. The show revolves around a powerful, ruthless family and explores — in an upstairs/downstairs fashion — how the destiny of a select few coincided with a major metropolis on the verge of its grand arrival. Goldberg and Borsiczky, who worked together on ABC’s Flash Forward, will executive produce. 20th century Los Angeles is a popular drama setting this development season — the CW has a project about 1930s Hollywood, while ABC and CW dramas explore Malibu in 1976 and 1961, respectively. Goldberg, repped by CAA, New Wave and Loan Dang, also has Mars drama Colony at the CW with Kennedy/Marshall. Borsiczky is with CAA, BEP and Jamie Mandelbaum.
Amazon Developing Upstairs/Downstairs Period Drama About Rise Of Los Angeles
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- ABC Buys Medical Thriller From Janine Sherman Barrois & Aaron Kaplan
- Bob Cooper, EOne Prep Post-Apocalyptic Event Series With Book Acquisition
- Fox Buys Detective Drama Based On Australian Miniseries 'Jack Irish'
- 'The Greatest American Hero' Gets Fox Remake With Phil Lord & Chris Miller
- Jennifer Johnson Exiting 'The Following' As Showrunner, Trio Takes Over
- Enver Gjokaj & Chad Michael Murray Cast In ABC Series 'Marvel's Agent Carter'