Amazon Studios is nothing if not ambitious in its foray into drama. One of its first two drama pilots, Chris Carter’s The After, is a thriller that takes place at the moment of apocalypse. Now the digital studio has put in development Grand Ave, a large-scale period drama set in 1910 Los Angeles. Written by Ian Goldberg (Once Upon A Time) based on a story he penned with producer Jessika Borsiczky (House Of Lies), Grand Ave chronicles the explosive, overnight transformation of L.A. from small town to iconic American city. The show revolves around a powerful, ruthless family and explores — in an upstairs/downstairs fashion — how the destiny of a select few coincided with a major metropolis on the verge of its grand arrival. Goldberg and Borsiczky, who worked together on ABC’s Flash Forward, will executive produce. 20th century Los Angeles is a popular drama setting this development season — the CW has a project about 1930s Hollywood, while ABC and CW dramas explore Malibu in 1976 and 1961, respectively. Goldberg, repped by CAA, New Wave and Loan Dang, also has Mars drama Colony at the CW with Kennedy/Marshall. Borsiczky is with CAA, BEP and Jamie Mandelbaum.
Amazon Developing Upstairs/Downstairs Period Drama About Rise Of Los Angeles
What's Hot on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Parminder Nagra Cast In ABC Pilot ‘The Kingmakers’
- Matthew Lillard To Star In ‘Problem Child’ NBC Pilot
- ‘True Blood’s Rutina Wesley To Star In ‘Broad Squad’, More ABC Pilots Add Cast
- NBC Picks Up Sniper Miniseries ‘The Reaper’ From Weinstein Co.
- Martha Plimpton To Star In Dan Savage ABC Pilot ‘Family of the Year’
- Christina Vidal To Star In ‘The Curse Of the Fuentes Women’ Pilot, Daphne Rubin-Vega Also Cast