You can’t say ABC is not taking big swings. The network has given an off-cycle pilot order to Galavant, a single-camera comedy fairytale written by The Neighbors creator Dan Fogelman, with Oscar-winning composer Alan Menken attached to write the music and his frequent collaborator Glenn Slater expected to pen the lyrics. Produced by ABC Studios, Galavant centers on handsome Prince Galavant and his quest for revenge over the King who stole his one true love. The project stems from Fogelman’s collaboration with Menken and Slater on the Sing Like A Larry Bird musical episode of The Neighbors last season, which earned the series an outstanding music and lyrics Emmy nomination. It expands ABC’s fairytale primetime footprint established with drama Once Upon A Time and its upcoming Wonderland spinoff. Fogelman knows a thing or two about writing fairytale musicals — he co-wrote Disney’s Tangled, whose music and lyrics were penned by Menken and Slater. With Galavant, ABC is renewing its efforts to launch a music-themed series. During the 2010-11 season, at the height of Glee‘s success, the network developed three such projects, a comedy from Menken, top lyricist David Zippel and comedy veteran Marco Pennette, a drama with musical elements from writer Bob Kushell starring Tony winner Idina Menzel, and a musical comedy from Sharpay Fabulous writer Robert Horn. Galavant is the first project to come out of the overall deal Fogelman inked with ABC Studios over the summer, which also include his showrunner services on The Neighbors, now in its second season. He has brought on former Industry Entertainment manager, Jess Rosenthal, to run the new company, Rhode Island Ave. Prods. Fogelman’s other feature credits include Cars and Crazy Stupid Love.
ABC Orders Musical Comedy Pilot From Dan Fogelman, Alan Menken & Glenn Slater
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- 'Hand Of God' To Go To Series, Two Others Likely As Amazon Studios Starts Making Series Pickup Decisions
- ABC Nabs 1970s Female Cop Drama From Fake Empire & Kapital Entertainment As Put Pilot
- 'Rush Hour' To Be Remade As Action Series From Bill Lawrence & Brett Ratner
- Yvonne Strahovski To Co-Star In ABC's 'Astronaut Wives Club'
- FX Renews Comedies 'Married' & 'You're The Worst', Moves 'Worst' To FXX
- NBC Nabs 'Raven Rock' Drama From Robert Zemeckis, Bob Cooper, eOne & Paramount TV