This is a morale boost that ABC‘s new Tuesday comedies The Goldbergs and Trophy Wife sure could use. The network has ordered three scripts each of the freshman shows. The largely symbolic gesture, as it doesn’t guarantee an episodic pickup, comes hours after The Goldbergs and Trophy Wife slid to new low marks last night, a 1.6 and 1.3 in adults 18-49, respectively. The comedies have very little compatibility with ABC’s 8 PM Tuesday anchor, superhero drama Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D., and Trophy Wife launched with virtually no marketing. I hear ABC is encouraged by The Goldbergs‘ Live+3 bumps and its positive reviews and online buzz as well as Trophy Wife‘s creative direction. In the recently released Live+7 for premiere week, The Goldbergs debut went up 33% to a 4.1 18-49 rating, Trophy Wife was up 29% to a 2.9. (The networks currently get paid for C3 ratings that include only the first 3 days of DVR playback.) While three new comedies, The Goldbergs, Trophy Wife and Fox’s Brooklyn Nine-Nine, have received orders for additional scripts, no freshman comedy has been given an episodic order yet compared with three back-nine/second-season pickups for new dramas — Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D., NBC’s The Blacklist and Fox’s Sleepy Hollow — as comedies are going through another rough fall.
ABC Orders 3 More Scripts Of ‘The Goldbergs’ & ‘Trophy Wife’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- ABC Buys Medical Thriller From Janine Sherman Barrois & Aaron Kaplan
- Bob Cooper, EOne Prep Post-Apocalyptic Event Series With Book Acquisition
- Fox Buys Detective Drama Based On Australian Miniseries 'Jack Irish'
- 'The Greatest American Hero' Gets Fox Remake With Phil Lord & Chris Miller
- Jennifer Johnson Exiting 'The Following' As Showrunner, Trio Takes Over
- Enver Gjokaj & Chad Michael Murray Cast In ABC Series 'Marvel's Agent Carter'