This is a morale boost that ABC‘s new Tuesday comedies The Goldbergs and Trophy Wife sure could use. The network has ordered three scripts each of the freshman shows. The largely symbolic gesture, as it doesn’t guarantee an episodic pickup, comes hours after The Goldbergs and Trophy Wife slid to new low marks last night, a 1.6 and 1.3 in adults 18-49, respectively. The comedies have very little compatibility with ABC’s 8 PM Tuesday anchor, superhero drama Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D., and Trophy Wife launched with virtually no marketing. I hear ABC is encouraged by The Goldbergs‘ Live+3 bumps and its positive reviews and online buzz as well as Trophy Wife‘s creative direction. In the recently released Live+7 for premiere week, The Goldbergs debut went up 33% to a 4.1 18-49 rating, Trophy Wife was up 29% to a 2.9. (The networks currently get paid for C3 ratings that include only the first 3 days of DVR playback.) While three new comedies, The Goldbergs, Trophy Wife and Fox’s Brooklyn Nine-Nine, have received orders for additional scripts, no freshman comedy has been given an episodic order yet compared with three back-nine/second-season pickups for new dramas — Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D., NBC’s The Blacklist and Fox’s Sleepy Hollow — as comedies are going through another rough fall.
ABC Orders 3 More Scripts Of ‘The Goldbergs’ & ‘Trophy Wife’
What's Hot on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Bryan Cranston & David Shore’s 'Sneaky Pete', Civil Rights Crime Drama From Rene Balcer Get CBS Pilot Orders
- Johnny Knoxville, Jermaine Fowler Projects, NBA Buddy Show Among 7 ABC Comedy Pilot Orders
- ABC Picks Up 4 Drama Pilots
- Busy Philipps Joins HBO Comedy Series 'Vice Principals'
- Medical Drama ‘LFE’ Gets CBS Pilot Order
- Idina Menzel To Star In ‘Happy Time’ Comedy Produced By Ellen DeGeneres