EXCLUSIVE: ABC has teamed with Chris Weitz (About A Boy) and Marty Bowen and Wyck Godfrey’s ABC Studios-based Temple Hill (ABC’s Revenge) for a drama series project based on Beta, the first in the YA book series by best-selling author Rachel Cohn. Written by young feature writer Lindsay Devlin, the project is set in the near future when clones have become the enslaved work force for the wealthy. But when a new Beta model is introduced and discovers the dark truth about her own origins, she also begins to uncover secrets and lies within the utopian island community she’s serving. Temple Hill’s Bowen, Godfrey and Larry Gilbert will executive produce with Depth of Field’s Chris Weitz, Andrew Miano and Paul Weitz. Beta reunites Chris Weitz, who directed The Twilight Saga: New Moon, and Temple Hill, the company behind the blockbuster movie franchise. “We had a great time working with Temple Hill on New Moon and are thrilled to be back in business with Wyck, Marty and Larry,” Chris Weitz said. The project also brings back together Depth of Field and Cohn after the company produced the film adaptation of Cohn’s book with David Levithan, Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist. Devlin, repped by UTA and Mosaic, recently wrote Devil’s Due at Fox. “Lindsay Devlin is a terrific writer,” Bowen said. “We’re all excited to see her capture Rachel Cohn’s dystopic vision.” Depth of Field is repped by WME and Morris Yorn.
ABC Adapting YA Book Series ‘Beta’ With Chris Weitz & Temple Hill
Trending Now on Deadline
'Midnight Rider' Trial Date Set For Indicted Filmmakers; 1st Assistant Director Hillary Schwartz Turns Herself In
More From Andreeva
- NBC Buys Legal Drama From Matt Lopez & John Glenn
- Julianna Margulies Inks Production Deal With CBS Studios
- 'Hand Of God' To Go To Series, Two Others Likely As Amazon Studios Starts Making Series Pickup Decisions
- ABC Nabs 1970s Female Cop Drama From Fake Empire & Kapital Entertainment As Put Pilot
- 'Rush Hour' To Be Remade As Action Series From Bill Lawrence & Brett Ratner
- Yvonne Strahovski To Co-Star In ABC's 'Astronaut Wives Club'