UKTV is the broadcast joint venture between BBC Worldwide and Scripps Networks Interactive. It recently ordered its first original sitcom You, Me & Them, starring Buffy The Vampire Slayer‘s Anthony Head, and today says it’s moving into drama. Life On Mars creator Tony Jordan‘s Red Planet Pictures is developing the 10-part Legion to air on UKTV’s flagship channel, Watch. Jordan, whose other credits inlcude Death In Paradise and the upcoming By Any Means and The Great War, says he’s been working on Legion for 15 years and calls it his “ultimate passion project.” The story follows a criminologist who makes a deal with the devil to save the life of his 10-year-old daughter who’s suffering from an inoperable brain tumor. When he finds he’s been tricked, he undertakes to renegotiate his contract by fighting the devil’s work on Earth which leads to a revelation that will forever change the world. The UK’s new TV tax credit is making it an attractive production location and Legion producers are talking to potential international co-production partners with an eye to close a deal at next month’s Mipcom TV market.
UKTV Commissions Tony Jordan’s ‘Legion’ As First Original Drama Series
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Tartaglione
- Hot Venice Clip: James Franco's 'The Sound And The Fury'
- Venice: Lars Von Trier Speaks, Sort Of; Helmer Prepping English-Language TV Series, Eyes “Huge Cast”
- 'X Factor UK' With Returning Simon Cowell Sheds 1M+ Viewers On Sunday (Video)
- Update: Oz Grants Disney Transfer Of Tax Incentive To Lure 'Pirates 5′ Down Under
- Update: Int'l Box Office: 'Apes' Dawns In China With $47M; 'Into The Storm' Whips Up Korea #1; 'Lucy' Crosses $150M; More