EXCLUSIVE: Gaumont International Television, the U.S.-based TV production arm of French film studio Gaumont, is paying homage to its roots with a new drama project from feature duo Tony Gilroy and Dan Gilroy. Monsieur De Paris, which marks Oscar-nominated fillmmaker Tony Gilroy’s first foray into television, will be shopped at the upcoming MIPCOM TV market. Created and written by the Gilroy brothers and to be directed by Tony Gilroy, Monsieur De Paris is set in the world of Paris 1931. It tells the story of the official executioner of France, keeper of the guillotine and caretaker of a medieval ritual transposed into a modern world. Born into a profession passed down through six generations, he has ceased attempting to run from his chosen calling but still refuses to let it define him. He is a man who lives two lives — husband and family man, and sanctioned killer of the republic. “We’ve waited a long time to find the right moment, the right idea, and the right place to have a long-form adventure,” said Tony Gilroy. “Everyone knows the most imaginative, electric storytelling is happening on the second screen these days and we’re terribly excited about being part of it.” Tony Gilroy has co-written all installments in the Bourne film series and directed The Bourne Legacy, which he co-wrote with Dan. Tony received a writing and directing Oscar nominations for Michael Clayton. Dan Gilroy next has Nightcrawler coming up. GIT, led by Katie O’Connel, has two returning series, NBC’s Hannibal and Netflix’s Hemlock Grove.
Tony Gilroy, Dan Gilroy Team With Gaumont For 20th Century Paris Drama Series
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
UPDATE: 'Cops' Bryce Dion Killed By Friendly Fire In Omaha While Filming Response To Wendy's Robbery
More From Andreeva
- Rila Fukushima Joins 'Arrow', Riley Voelkel Cast In 'Point Of Honor'
- Fox Buys College Comedy From Weezer Frontman Rivers Cuomo & 'Psych' Creator Steve Franks As Put Pilot
- Jason Bateman's Aggregate Films Reups Film & TV Deal With Universal, Hires Executive
- Zach Galifianakis & Louis C.K.'s Comedy 'Baskets' Gets FX Series Order
- Daniel Dae Kim To Produce Adaptation Of Korean Medical Drama 'Good Doctor' For CBS
- NBC Buys 'Assisted Loving' Comedy From Claudia Lonow