Sundance Channel has acquired U.S. broadcast rights to the eight-part French supernatural drama The Returned from Music Box Films. The series, created by Fabrice Gobert and distributed by Zodiak Rights, is based on the feature film Les Revenants by Robin Campillo. It will premiere on Sundance Channel on Halloween, October 31, and air every Thursday night at 9 PM. “We decided to take zombies to a new and utterly original level — we made them French!” stated Sarah Barnett, President of Sundance Channel. In an idyllic French mountain town, a seemingly random collection of people find themselves in a state of confusion as they attempt to return to their homes. What they don’t know yet is that they have been dead for several years, and no one is expecting them back. Their arrival also coincides with a series of gruesome murders which bear a chilling resemblance to the work of a serial killer from the past. The Returned was a breakout hit for France’s Canal Plus when it premiered last fall and also did very well on UK’s Channel 4, drawing an average of 1.5 viewers. A second season of eight episodes goes into production in France in early 2014. The Sundance acquisition comes on the heels of Zodiak selling The Returned‘s U.S. rights to Music Box, which announced a VOD/DVD release set for January. There also is an English-language adaptation in the works.
Sundance Channel Acquires French Zombie Series ‘The Returned’ For Halloween Debut
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Raycom Media TV Stations Blacked Out By DirecTV In Carriage Dispute
- ABC Buys Medical Thriller From Janine Sherman Barrois & Aaron Kaplan
- Bob Cooper, EOne Prep Post-Apocalyptic Event Series With Book Acquisition
- Fox Buys Detective Drama Based On Australian Miniseries 'Jack Irish'
- 'The Greatest American Hero' Gets Fox Remake With Phil Lord & Chris Miller
- Jennifer Johnson Exiting 'The Following' As Showrunner, Trio Takes Over