The Last Ship, featuring an original score by 16-time Grammy winner Sting, will open on Broadway in the fall of 2014 following a world premiere in Chicago. Inspired by Sting’s childhood, The Last Ship is set in the English seafaring town of Wallsend where life revolves around the local shipyard. It tells the story of Gideon Fletcher who leaves home to travel the world and returns 14 years later to see the shipyard’s future in danger and his childhood sweetheart engaged to someone else. The shipyard’s workers decide to take their fate into their own hands and build a towering representation of the shared dream that has defined their existence and Fletcher realizes he left more behind than he could ever imagine. Two-time Tony winner Joe Mantello directs, the book is by Tony winner John Logan and Pulitzer Prize winner Brian Yorkey and choreography is by Tony nominee Steven Hoggett.
Sting’s ‘The Last Ship’ Heads To Broadway
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- 'The Blacklist' Season 2: Hot TV Trailer
- Academy Unveils Finalists For Nicholl Fellowships In Screenwriting
- Charles Manson Book 'The Family' To Become Movie With 'American Psycho' Screenwriter Penning It
- Alibaba's Big Day Shifts Focus To Yahoo
- Daniel Sauli Joins HBO Miniseries 'Show Me A Hero'; Daren Kagasoff in Fox's 'Red Band Society'
- Sam Elliott & Garret Dillahunt Join FX's 'Justified'