The Last Ship, featuring an original score by 16-time Grammy winner Sting, will open on Broadway in the fall of 2014 following a world premiere in Chicago. Inspired by Sting’s childhood, The Last Ship is set in the English seafaring town of Wallsend where life revolves around the local shipyard. It tells the story of Gideon Fletcher who leaves home to travel the world and returns 14 years later to see the shipyard’s future in danger and his childhood sweetheart engaged to someone else. The shipyard’s workers decide to take their fate into their own hands and build a towering representation of the shared dream that has defined their existence and Fletcher realizes he left more behind than he could ever imagine. Two-time Tony winner Joe Mantello directs, the book is by Tony winner John Logan and Pulitzer Prize winner Brian Yorkey and choreography is by Tony nominee Steven Hoggett.
Sting’s ‘The Last Ship’ Heads To Broadway
Trending Now on Deadline
NBC Cameraman Declared Ebola-Free; Tries To Rescue Nancy Snyderman From Self-Inflicted Career Disaster -- UPDATE
More From Team
- Karen Pittman Joins 'The Americans'; Gloria Reuben In 'Mr. Robot'
- 'Below Deck' Renewed For Third Season By Bravo
- 'Shark Tank' Spinoff 'Beyond The Tank' Ordered At ABC
- 'Cold Justice' Spinoff Greenlit By TNT
- Hollywood Film Awards Sets 18 Categories
- Ken Burns' 'The Roosevelts' Bags Bully Ratings For PBS