Tony Award winners Audra McDonald, Laura Benanti and Christian Borle are joining Carrie Underwood and Stephen Moyer in NBC’s live production of The Sound Of Music, a three-hour broadcast set for December 5. McDonald, a five-time Tony winner, will play Mother Abbess; Benanti, who won a Tony for Gypsy, will play Elsa Schrader; and Borle, who starred on NBC’s now-cancelled Smash and won a Tony for Peter And The Starcatcher, is returning to the network to play Max Dettweiler. The three-hour production will be based on the original 1959 Broadway production that starred Mary Martin as Maria and Theodore Bikel as Captain Von Trapp. The Universal TV-produced special is exec produced by Oscar producers Neil Meron and Craig Zadan.
NBC Adds Trio To Live ‘Sound Of Music’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Netflix Nabs Judd Apatow Comedy Series With 2-Season Order; Paul Rust & Gillian Jacobs To Star, Legendary TV To Produce
More From Team
- Hot Trailer: Jason Reitman's 'Men, Women & Children'
- Annika Marks Joins ABC Family's 'The Fosters'; Rotimi Akinosho In Starz's 'Power'
- 'TMZ Hollywood Sports' To Anchor Reelz Primetime
- Relativity Sets Thrillers 'The Disappointments Room' & 'Kidnap' For Fall 2015
- Zach Gilford & Jonathan Cake Join USA Pilot 'Stanistan'
- Hot Trailer: Robert Downey Jr & Robert Duvall In 'The Judge'