Sony Pictures Television will introduce a new reality series format at MIPCOM — Milky Way Mission — which will send celebrities into space. The news comes as Survivor and The Voice producer Mark Burnett is pitching another unscripted series where the prize is flying into space on Virgin Galactic’s SpaceShipTwo. SPT’s agreement is with Netherlands-based Space Expedition Corporation (SXC), which is launching a space travel program for civilians in 2014. Milky Way Mission, created by Tuvalu Media and Simpel Media, features 10 celebrities living in a special bootcamp where they undergo a rigorous and intensive training program in preparation to become an astronaut. (The Mark Burnett series is said to feature non-celebrity contestants). Each week the stars face a series of extreme physical and mental challenges, with final rounds taking place at the launch site in Mojave, CA. The series already has been sold to Dutch network Nederland 1, which has commissioned eight hourlong episodes. “For years people have dreamt about the possibility of a show in space,” Wayne Garvie, chief creative officer, international production at SPT said. “SPT is now poised to make that dream real.” The new TV space race comes a decade after space first became a hot reality destination with several projects, neither of which took off the ground, including Burnett’s Destination Mir and Destination Space.
Sony Pictures TV Sets Space Travel Series As Space Heats Up As Reality Frontier
What's Hot on Deadline
Red Nose Day Actually: 'Love Actually' Short-Film Sequel With Hugh Grant, Keira Knightley, Bill Nighy & More
Latest TV News
- Viacom’s Great Program Migration: Guide To Which Show Moved Where
- MSNBC President Phil Griffin Signs New Deal; Whither Goest Lawrence O’Donnell?
- ‘The 100’ Ups Tasya Teles To Regular; ‘Supergirl’s Floriana Lima To Return As Recurring
- ‘Twin Peaks’ Premiere Gets Modest Live+3 Bump; Strong Streaming Lift
- ‘House Of Cards’ Season 5 Review: Kevin Spacey & Robin Wright Swagger Back
- The Horse’s Mouth 8: The Importance Of Feeling Important