“We have created something incredible,” Pranav Mistry, Head of Samsung‘s Think Tank Team, said at the unveiling today in Berlin. “Welcome to the future.” Sure, that’s grandiose. Still, Samsung’s Galaxy Gear looks intriguing for a first-generation device — introduced ahead of Apple’s expected launch of its iWatch. The Samsung watch has a 1.63-inch touch display, 800MHz custom CPU, 512 MB of RAM, a gyroscope and accelerometer and can run 25 hours on a charge. It wirelessly connects to the company’s Galaxy Note 3 smartphone, also introduced today, so you can look like Dick Tracy making phone calls on your wrist. But it also can serve as a pedometer, and manages emails, text messages, calendar events, notifications, music, and photos. It has a 1.9-megapixel camera in the strap and can transmit your shots. Apps are being specially designed for Gear. The smartwatch will be available in 149 countries on September 25, and will go worldwide in October. No word yet on price.
Samsung Introduces Galaxy Gear Smartwatch
What's Hot on Deadline
'Star Trek' TV Reboot Title & Teaser Unveiled At Comic-Con; New Series "Won't Be Episodic", Bryan Fuller Says
Sable Ranch, Popular Film & TV Location, Destroyed By Wildfire; Disney's Golden Oak Ranch "OK", LAFD Says - Update
DNC Gavels In Calmly As Talk Swirls Of Bernie Sanders' Name Being Put In Nomination; Ohio Rep. Named Convention Chair
Sly Stallone Confirmed, Star Lord's Parents' Sex Life Discussed In Hilarious 'Guardians Of The Galaxy 2' Trailer - Comic-Con
Cristina Ferrare Out, Replaced By Debbie Matenopoulos As Co-Host Of Hallmark Channel's 'Home & Family'
Latest Business News
- DNC Apologizes To Bernie Sanders As He Urges Supporters To Play Nice At Convention
- Lower Paid CEOs Generate Bigger Returns Than High Flyers: Study
- ThinkProgress Editorial Staff Ratifies WGA East Contract
- Hollywood Has Collected More Than $860M In Foreign Levies
- 20th TV Ups Ken Lawson To SVP & General Sales Manager For Broadcast Syndie Sales
- Jackie Chan-Starring ‘Skiptrace’ Bows Big In China With $62M+ Debut