EXCLUSIVE: Ti West wrote and directed The Sacrament, the contemporary found-footage thriller that world premiered at Venice before showing at Toronto over the weekend in the fest’s Vanguard section. Magnolia Pictures, which lost on an earlier bidding war here for Joe, is finalizing a deal for the pic reported to be for seven figures. CAA and UTA are co-repping the sale. The latest film from indie director West, whose credits include The House Of the Devil and The Innkeepers, is “presented by” Eli Roth who serves as a producer. It sends frequent collaborators AJ Bowen, Amy Seimetz, Joe Swanberg and Kentucker Audley on a harrowing journey into madness and messianic bloodshed that tweaks the horror genre. Patrick (Audley) is a fashion photographer. When his colleagues Sam (Bowen) and Jake (Swanberg), correspondents for Vice magazine, catch wind of a letter he received from his estranged sister Caroline (Seimetz), they decide her story would be a great subject for a documentary — she’s living in a “sober” commune at an unnamed location outside the U.S. While Patrick reunites with his sister, Sam and Jake investigate why members of the isolated community have followed a mysterious leader they call Father off American soil (think Jim Jones). Understandably skeptical at first, the guys slowly come around to the group’s utopian claims.
Toronto: Magnolia Nears Deal For Ti West’s ‘The Sacrament’
What's Hot on Deadline
'Gods Of Egypt': 'Selma' Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity - Update
Thanksgiving Box Office +12% Over 2014, Boosted By 'Mockingjay 2', 'Good Dinosaur' & 'Creed' - Sunday AM Update
Two-Time Oscar Winner Jane Fonda Back In The Hunt For 'Youth' Three Decades After Her Last Nomination
Universal Lands Hot Novel 'The Girl Before'; Ron Howard To Direct, Brian Grazer & Michael De Luca To Produce
Latest Film News
- ‘The Assassin’, ‘Carol’, ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ Top BFI Sight & Sound’s Best…
- Will DiCaprio, Depp Or Smith Nab Best Actor Oscar Or Does Redmayne Take It Again? — Awardsline
- ‘Gods Of Egypt’: ‘Selma’ Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity…
- ‘Steve Jobs’ Composer Daniel Pemberton: Video Of ‘Circle Of Machines’ Performance
- Deadline’s The Contenders: ‘Son Of Saul’ Director László Nemes & Star Géza Röhrig Discuss The Harrowing Cannes Winner’s Journey…
- What Is This ‘Project Delirium’ Jennifer Lawrence Wants To Direct?