EXCLUSIVE: Ti West wrote and directed The Sacrament, the contemporary found-footage thriller that world premiered at Venice before showing at Toronto over the weekend in the fest’s Vanguard section. Magnolia Pictures, which lost on an earlier bidding war here for Joe, is finalizing a deal for the pic reported to be for seven figures. CAA and UTA are co-repping the sale. The latest film from indie director West, whose credits include The House Of the Devil and The Innkeepers, is “presented by” Eli Roth who serves as a producer. It sends frequent collaborators AJ Bowen, Amy Seimetz, Joe Swanberg and Kentucker Audley on a harrowing journey into madness and messianic bloodshed that tweaks the horror genre. Patrick (Audley) is a fashion photographer. When his colleagues Sam (Bowen) and Jake (Swanberg), correspondents for Vice magazine, catch wind of a letter he received from his estranged sister Caroline (Seimetz), they decide her story would be a great subject for a documentary — she’s living in a “sober” commune at an unnamed location outside the U.S. While Patrick reunites with his sister, Sam and Jake investigate why members of the isolated community have followed a mysterious leader they call Father off American soil (think Jim Jones). Understandably skeptical at first, the guys slowly come around to the group’s utopian claims.
Toronto: Magnolia Nears Deal For Ti West’s ‘The Sacrament’
What's Hot on Deadline
'Tomorrowland' Bows Overseas With $26.7M, 'Ultron' Dominates With $45.8M, 'Mad Max' Adds $38.2M, 'Spy' Nabs $12.5M
Cannes Winners: The French Did Well, The Italians Didn't - But Who's Complaining After Cinema's World Cup?
TLC "Deeply Saddened" As It Pulls All Episodes of '19 Kids And Counting' In Wake Of Child Molestation Allegations - Update
Hot Cannes 'Circle' Package Imperiled As Alicia Vikander In Talks To Star In 'Assassin's Creed', New 'Bourne' Film
Latest Film News
- Cannes Winners: The French Did Well, The Italians Didn’t – But Who’s Complaining After Cinema’s World…
- Anne Meara Dies; Actress, Comedian Of Stiller Family Was 85
- Cannes: Audiard’s ‘Dheepan’ Wins Palme D’Or At Emotional, Musical Ceremony – Update
- Mathematician John Nash, Subject Of ‘A Beautiful Mind’, Dies In Car Crash
- Bart & Fleming: Girl Power Pics, Cate Blanchett, Melissa McCarthy, Suzanne Somers And Disney Self-Absorption
- Memorial Day B.O. Runs Cold: ‘Tomorrowland’ Is No Flying Car With $40.7M Bow – Second Sunday Update