Drafthouse Films has picked up North American rights to Hitoshi Matsumoto’s R100, which had its world premiere at the Midnight Madness section of this month’s Toronto Film Festival. The plan is for a VOD/digital and theatrical release next year. Its U.S. premiere came over the weekend at Fantastic Fest in Austin –the backyard of Drafthouse parent Alamo Drafthouse Cinema — where it got a strong reception. The comedy centers on a lonely everyman who hires a boutique S&M agency that specialize in random acts of extreme public degradation. Needless to say a bizarre accident changes the terms of his contract and sends him into a spiral. The deal was negotiated by Tim League and James Emanuel Shapiro on behalf of Drafthouse Films and Miyuki Takamatsu of Free Stone Productions on behalf for producers.
Drafthouse Acquires Toronto Midnight Madness Comedy ‘R100′
What's Hot on Deadline
'Tomorrowland' Nosing Out 'Pitch Perfect' For No. 1; 'Mad Max' Holds Strong; 'Ultron' To Cross $400M - Box Office Saturday
Hot Cannes 'Circle' Package Imperiled As Alicia Vikander In Talks To Star In 'Assassin's Creed', New 'Bourne' Film
TLC "Deeply Saddened" As It Pulls All Episodes of '19 Kids And Counting' In Wake Of Child Molestation Allegations - Update
'Jurassic World' Tracking Like 'Man Of Steel' - But How Many $100M+ Openings After That In Summer 2015?
Latest Film News
- ‘Tomorrowland’s Future: $40.7M Four-Day Opening; ‘Pitch Perfect 2′ Hits $100M+ High Note – First…
- How Director Rick Famuyiwa Grew ‘Dope’ – Cannes Q&A
- Michael Fassbender In ‘Macbeth': A Pair Of Clips From Cannes
- Un Certain Regard Winners: ‘Rams’, ‘The High Sun’, ‘Treasure’ & More – Cannes
- ‘Son Of Saul’ Wins FIPRESCI; Ecumenical Jury Honors ‘Mia Madre’ – Cannes
- Hot Cannes ‘Circle’ Package Imperiled As Alicia Vikander In Talks To Star In ‘Assassin’s Creed’, New ‘Bourne…