This was the quarter when Facebook left behind memories of its troubled IPO last year: As it reassured investors that it has a strategy to sell ads on mobile platforms, its shares closed Q3 at $50.23 — a 101.9% gain since the end of June. That’s the biggest jump on the list of media company stocks we track. The sector did well as the economy, and advertising, improved: The Dow Jones U.S. Media Index rose 8.3% beating the Dow Jones Industrial Average (+1.5%) and Standard & Poor’s 500 (+4.7%). Radio company Cumulus Media came in second in our group, rising 56%, followed by Netflix (+46.5%), Best Buy (+37.2%), Pandora (+36.6%), and Yahoo (+32%). Among Big Media companies, Viacom (+22.9%) saw the biggest improvement followed by Time Warner (13.8%), CBS (+12.9%), Comcast (+8.1%), Disney (+2.1%) and Sony (+1.7%). We left Fox and News Corp off the list for this quarter; their stocks were essentially brand new after Rupert Murdoch’s company split in two at the end of June. Companies that probably were glad to see the quarter end include 3D technology company RealD (-49.6%), Barnes & Noble (-19%), Rovi (-16.1%), and Outerwall — the parent of DVD rental kiosk owner Redbox — which was -14.7%.
Q3 Media Stock Tally: Facebook Shares Win Big While RealD Falls
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Keeps B.O. Treasure From 'Tomb Raider'; How 'I Can Only Imagine' Hit A $17M High Note
Ellen Barkin Says "Never Get Into An Elevator Alone With Terry Gilliam" After His Criticism Of #MeToo Movement
'SNL': Anderson Cooper Addresses White House Firings; John Goodman & Fred Armisen Make Surprise Visits
'Avengers: Infinity War' Already The Best-Selling Superhero Movie In Advance Ticket Sales, Beating 'Black Panther'
Latest Business News
- Michael Gershman Dies: The ‘Buffy The Vampire Slayer’, ‘Crossing Jordan’ Cinematographer Was 73
- Veteran Cirque Du Soleil Performer Dies After Fall During Tampa Show
- Desilu Exploring U.S. Public Offering After Acquisition Of Israel’s Vonetize: Report
- The Roots Cancel SXSW Concert After Bomb Threat; Suspect Arrested – Update
- Ellen Barkin Says “Never Get Into An Elevator Alone With Terry Gilliam” After His Criticism Of #MeToo Movement
- Kathy Griffin Comeback Show At Carnegie Hall Nearly Sells Out In A Day