There will be even more Oprah Winfrey on OWN — the network has picked up the network television rights to Lee Daniels’ The Butler, toplined by OWN’s CEO and star Winfrey and Forest Whitaker. OWN is getting the first broadcast window behind pay television beginning in 2017. The Weinstein Company-produced sleeper hit recently surpassed $100 million at the box office. “This is a film that every American should see and we look forward to its debut on OWN,” said Sheri Salata, president, OWN. “Lee Daniels’ The Butler tells the story of a White House butler who served seven American presidents over three decades.
OWN Acquires ‘Lee Daniels’ The Butler’
What's Hot on Deadline
'Tomorrowland' Nosing Out 'Pitch Perfect' For No. 1; 'Mad Max' Holds Strong; 'Ultron' To Cross $400M - Box Office Saturday
TLC "Deeply Saddened" As It Pulls All Episodes of '19 Kids And Counting' In Wake Of Child Molestation Allegations - Update
Hot Cannes 'Circle' Package Imperiled As Alicia Vikander In Talks To Star In 'Assassin's Creed', New 'Bourne' Film
'Jurassic World' Tracking Like 'Man Of Steel' - But How Many $100M+ Openings After That In Summer 2015?
Latest TV News
- Marty Pasetta Dies: Longtime Director Of Academy Awards Telecasts Was 82
- ‘X-Factor’ Producers Hit With $2M Lawsuit By Contestant; Says Performance Was “Altered”
- Showrunner Jennie Snyder Urman On Almost Passing On ‘Jane The Virgin’, Pace, Title Change & How Will It End
- ‘Fuller’ Brush-Off: Olsens Won’t Head Home For ‘Full House’ Sequel
- Melissa McCarthy Staying At CAA
- UP Orders ‘Last Hope With Troy Dunn’ To Series