There will be even more Oprah Winfrey on OWN — the network has picked up the network television rights to Lee Daniels’ The Butler, toplined by OWN’s CEO and star Winfrey and Forest Whitaker. OWN is getting the first broadcast window behind pay television beginning in 2017. The Weinstein Company-produced sleeper hit recently surpassed $100 million at the box office. “This is a film that every American should see and we look forward to its debut on OWN,” said Sheri Salata, president, OWN. “Lee Daniels’ The Butler tells the story of a White House butler who served seven American presidents over three decades.
OWN Acquires ‘Lee Daniels’ The Butler’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Raycom Media TV Stations Blacked Out By DirecTV In Carriage Dispute
- ABC Buys Medical Thriller From Janine Sherman Barrois & Aaron Kaplan
- Bob Cooper, EOne Prep Post-Apocalyptic Event Series With Book Acquisition
- Fox Buys Detective Drama Based On Australian Miniseries 'Jack Irish'
- 'The Greatest American Hero' Gets Fox Remake With Phil Lord & Chris Miller
- Jennifer Johnson Exiting 'The Following' As Showrunner, Trio Takes Over