Amat Escalante won the Cannes Film Festival Best Director prize this year for Heli, a stark look at the effects of crime and corruption in Mexico. The country has now submitted it for the Outstanding Foreign Language Film Oscar race, the Academia Mexicana de Artes y Ciencias Cinematográficas said today. Heli centers on a 12-year-old girl who falls in love with a young police cadet who wants to run away with her and get married. He gets mixed up cartels when he decides to smuggle drugs to earn money, with violent and tragic consequences.
Mexico Submits Cannes Winner ‘Heli’ For Foreign Language Oscar
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Keith OIbermann's ESPN2 Program Moving; He'll Anchor Some 'SportsCenter' Shows (Video)
- Hot Trailer: 'The Pyramid'
- Lionsgate Nabs Schwarzenegger Starrer 'Maggie'; Oscilloscope Rocks With 'Jingle Bell' Docu
- Kathryn Prescott Joins CBS Miniseries 'The Dovekeepers'
- Hot TV Teaser: 'The Affair'
- Participant Joins DreamWorks On Spielberg Cold War Pic & 'The Light Between Oceans'