NBC has put in development a miniseries about the life of iconic late-night talk show host Johnny Carson. Based on Bill Zehme’s upcoming biography Carson The Magnificent: An Intimate Portrait published by Simon & Schuster, the project will cover Carson’s 30-year run (1962-92) as host of The Tonight Show, as well as his childhood growing up in Nebraska, his often secluded off-camera life and friendships he made throughout his career as one of the most beloved TV personalities of all time. Casting the role of Carson is expected to begin soon. The Johnny Carson miniseries is part of NBC’s push in the longform arena. Another such project, a miniseries about former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, has become the focus of controversy. The network’s other miniseries/limited series in the works include a four-hour updated remake and resetting of Rosemary’s Baby; a new version of Stephen King’s Tommyknockers; Plymouth, the story of the landing of the pilgrims, produced by The Bible‘s Mark Burnett; and AD: After The Bible, a limited series sequel to hit The Bible, with Burnett.
NBC Prepping Johnny Carson Miniseries
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- ABC Buys Medical Thriller From Janine Sherman Barrois & Aaron Kaplan
- Bob Cooper, EOne Prep Post-Apocalyptic Event Series With Book Acquisition
- Fox Buys Detective Drama Based On Australian Miniseries 'Jack Irish'
- 'The Greatest American Hero' Gets Fox Remake With Phil Lord & Chris Miller
- Jennifer Johnson Exiting 'The Following' As Showrunner, Trio Takes Over
- Enver Gjokaj & Chad Michael Murray Cast In ABC Series 'Marvel's Agent Carter'