The Returned (Les Revenants) originally aired in France on Canal Plus last fall. Since then, the UK’s Channel 4 broadcast the first series, renamed Rebound, drawing an average 1.5 million viewers each week. A second season of eight episodes goes into production in France in early 2014. Zodiak is handling international and has sold all U.S. rights on the first season to Music Box Films for a VOD/DVD release in January. This will follow an as-yet undisclosed U.S. TV debut in October. Created by Fabrice Gobert and produced by Caroline Benjo, Jimmy Desmarais and Carole Scotta of Haut et Court, the show centers on a group of people in a small Alpine village who find themselves in a state of confusion, trying to return to their homes. What they don’t know is that they’ve been dead for several years, and no one is expecting them back. Anne Consigny, Clotilde Hesme, Celine Sallette, Frederic Pierrot, Samir Guesmi and Guillaume Gouix star. (Separately there is an English-language adaptation in the works, to which Shameless creator Paul Abbott was previously attached.) Music Box and Zodiak previously collaborated on the release of the film adaptations of Stieg Larsson’s Millennium trilogy and of Swedish series Wallander.
Music Box Films Plans VOD/DVD Release Of French Supernatural Series ‘The Returned’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Tartaglione
- Update: Int'l Box Office: 'Apes' Dawns In China With $47M; 'Into The Storm' Whips Up Korea #1; 'Lucy' Crosses $150M; More
- UPDATE: FT Vet Rona Fairhead Named First Woman Chair Of BBC Trust
- 'Doctor Who' Down 1.59M UK Viewers In Sophomore Outing
- Simon Cowell's Return To 'X Factor UK' Scores Best Launch Since 2011 With 9.5M Viewers
- Hot TV Trailer: 'Downton Abbey' Season 5; UK Premiere Set For September 21
- Venice: Al Pacino Waxes On Depression, The Actors Studio & The “Amazing” 'Guardians Of The Galaxy'