EXCLUSIVE: ABC‘s flagship comedy Modern Family, which is coming off a fourth consecutive best series Emmy win, may be getting a spinoff. I’ve learned that the network and producer 20th Century Fox TV have met to discuss potentially spinning off the hit comedy. Details are sketchy as conversations are in very early stages with multiples ideas discussed, but I hear one offshoot concept that is being explored is for a show built around standout Modern Family guest player Rob Riggle and the character he played in two episodes last season. The idea is being spearheaded by Modern Family executive producers Paul Corrigan and Brad Walsh who would run point and write the script. (Modern Family co-creator/executive producer Steve Levitan would likely have some involvement, while fellow co-creator/exec producer Christopher Lloyd is expected to remain solely focused on the flagship series, now in its fifth season.) Riggle’s Gil Thorpe is Southern California’s most successful real estate agent and rival of Phil Dunphy (Ty Burrell) who briefly employed Phil’s wife Claire (Julie Bowen). Thorpe is abrasive and has a penchant for inserting his name in words, like “Thorpedoed” and “Gil Pickles.” Corrigan and Walsh, who became a writing team when they met in NYU’s film school, have been on Modern Family since after the pilot. They wrote one of Riggle’s two Modern Family episodes, “Career Day” (check out the video below).
ABC Eyes Potential ‘Modern Family’ Spinoff
What's Hot on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Parminder Nagra Cast In ABC Pilot ‘The Kingmakers’
- Matthew Lillard To Star In ‘Problem Child’ NBC Pilot
- ‘True Blood’s Rutina Wesley To Star In ‘Broad Squad’, More ABC Pilots Add Cast
- NBC Picks Up Sniper Miniseries ‘The Reaper’ From Weinstein Co.
- Martha Plimpton To Star In Dan Savage ABC Pilot ‘Family of the Year’
- Christina Vidal To Star In ‘The Curse Of the Fuentes Women’ Pilot, Daphne Rubin-Vega Also Cast