Sherlock co-star Martin Freeman is set as the co-lead opposite Billy Bob Thornton in FX’s first limited series Fargo, executive produced by Joel and Ethan Coen. A 10-episode limited series inspired by the Coens’ 1996 film, FX’s Fargo will feature an all-new true crime story, with the series following a new case and new characters, all entrenched in the trademark humor, murder and “Minnesota nice” of the film. It centers on Lester Nygaard (Freeman), a small town insurance salesman henpecked by his wife, whose life is changed when a mysterious stranger, Lorne Malvo (Thornton), comes to town. The Lester role draws parallels to the character played by William H. Macy in the movie. Fargo was written by Noah Hawley, with Adam Bernstein set to direct the opening hour. FX Prods. and MGM Television are producing, with Hawley, Warren Littlefield, Joel & Ethan Coen, and Geyer Kosinski exec producing.
Martin Freeman To Star In FX Limited Series ‘Fargo’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- HBO Developing Musical Comedy From Bruce Eric Kaplan
- Mark Burnett & Roma Downey Producing Guardian Angels Drama For NBC
- Ellen Pompeo To Produce Cop Drama For ABC
- Astronaut Family Comedy Lands At ABC With Pilot Production Commitment
- Bow Wow To Co-Star In CBS' 'CSI: Cyber'
- TBS To Air First Season Of CBS Comedy 'Mom'