Sherlock co-star Martin Freeman is set as the co-lead opposite Billy Bob Thornton in FX’s first limited series Fargo, executive produced by Joel and Ethan Coen. A 10-episode limited series inspired by the Coens’ 1996 film, FX’s Fargo will feature an all-new true crime story, with the series following a new case and new characters, all entrenched in the trademark humor, murder and “Minnesota nice” of the film. It centers on Lester Nygaard (Freeman), a small town insurance salesman henpecked by his wife, whose life is changed when a mysterious stranger, Lorne Malvo (Thornton), comes to town. The Lester role draws parallels to the character played by William H. Macy in the movie. Fargo was written by Noah Hawley, with Adam Bernstein set to direct the opening hour. FX Prods. and MGM Television are producing, with Hawley, Warren Littlefield, Joel & Ethan Coen, and Geyer Kosinski exec producing.
Martin Freeman To Star In FX Limited Series ‘Fargo’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- ABC Buys Medical Thriller From Janine Sherman Barrois & Aaron Kaplan
- Bob Cooper, EOne Prep Post-Apocalyptic Event Series With Book Acquisition
- Fox Buys Detective Drama Based On Australian Miniseries 'Jack Irish'
- 'The Greatest American Hero' Gets Fox Remake With Phil Lord & Chris Miller
- Jennifer Johnson Exiting 'The Following' As Showrunner, Trio Takes Over
- Enver Gjokaj & Chad Michael Murray Cast In ABC Series 'Marvel's Agent Carter'