EXCLUSIVE: Gossip Girl‘s Leighton Meester has been tapped to lead indie drama Like Sunday, Like Rain, the story of a struggling musician (Meester) who becomes the guardian of a 12-year-old music prodigy one summer. This is Ray Donovan actor Frank Whaley‘s fourth outing as writer and director after helming pics Joe The King, The Jimmy Show, and New York City Serenade. Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong will play the boyfriend of Meester’s character. Debra Messing has been cast as the mother of the boy, who’ll be played by newcomer Julian Shatkin. J Smith Cameron (Rectify, Margaret) rounds out the cast. Filming is underway in New York with BB Films’ Uri Singer, FJ Productions’ Fabio Golombek, and Jim Jones, Trippe Lonian and TJ DeMark of Willhouse Media executive producing and Tagline Pictures’ Josh Kesselman and Danny Sherman producing. Meester, who sang a few tunes in Country Strong and appears in WB’s 2014 drama The Judge with Robert Downey, Jr., is repped by WME, Leverage, and Stone Meyer Genow. Whaley is repped by APA and Thruline Entertainment. Armstrong is repped by Gersh and PPM, INC. Messing is repped by Gersh and 3 Arts. Cameron is repped by Gersh. Shatkin is repped by Innovative Artists and Invictus Entertainment.
Leighton Meester, Billie Joe Armstrong, Debra Messing To Star In Frank Whaley’s ‘Like Sunday, Like Rain’
Trending Now on Deadline
'Midnight Rider' Trial Date Set For Indicted Filmmakers; 1st Assistant Director Hillary Schwartz Turns Herself In
More From Yamato
- 'Midnight Rider' Trial Date Set For Indicted Filmmakers; 1st Assistant Director Hillary Schwartz Turns Herself In
- Jesse Metcalfe, More Set For Zombie Vidgame Flick 'Dead Rising'
- 'Midnight Rider': 1st Assistant Director Charged With Involuntary Manslaughter
- Toronto: François Ozon's 'The New Girlfriend' Goes To Cohen Media Group
- Toronto: Focus Acquires Kate Winslet Starrer 'A Little Chaos'