EXCLUSIVE: Gossip Girl‘s Leighton Meester has been tapped to lead indie drama Like Sunday, Like Rain, the story of a struggling musician (Meester) who becomes the guardian of a 12-year-old music prodigy one summer. This is Ray Donovan actor Frank Whaley‘s fourth outing as writer and director after helming pics Joe The King, The Jimmy Show, and New York City Serenade. Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong will play the boyfriend of Meester’s character. Debra Messing has been cast as the mother of the boy, who’ll be played by newcomer Julian Shatkin. J Smith Cameron (Rectify, Margaret) rounds out the cast. Filming is underway in New York with BB Films’ Uri Singer, FJ Productions’ Fabio Golombek, and Jim Jones, Trippe Lonian and TJ DeMark of Willhouse Media executive producing and Tagline Pictures’ Josh Kesselman and Danny Sherman producing. Meester, who sang a few tunes in Country Strong and appears in WB’s 2014 drama The Judge with Robert Downey, Jr., is repped by WME, Leverage, and Stone Meyer Genow. Whaley is repped by APA and Thruline Entertainment. Armstrong is repped by Gersh and PPM, INC. Messing is repped by Gersh and 3 Arts. Cameron is repped by Gersh. Shatkin is repped by Innovative Artists and Invictus Entertainment.
Leighton Meester, Billie Joe Armstrong, Debra Messing To Star In Frank Whaley’s ‘Like Sunday, Like Rain’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Yamato
- 'Olympus Has Fallen' Scribes To Adapt iPhone Game 'The Drowning'
- Simon Helberg's 'We'll Never Have Paris' Acquired By Orion Releasing
- Fantastic Fest: Dark Sky Acquires Irish Horror 'Let Us Prey'
- Aaron Paul Joins 'The 9th Life Of Louis Drax'
- Marcia Gay Harden Signs With ICM Partners
- UPDATE: Michelle Yeoh, Others Join Cinemax's 'Strike Back' For Fourth & Final Season