EXCLUSIVE: Gossip Girl‘s Leighton Meester has been tapped to lead indie drama Like Sunday, Like Rain, the story of a struggling musician (Meester) who becomes the guardian of a 12-year-old music prodigy one summer. This is Ray Donovan actor Frank Whaley‘s fourth outing as writer and director after helming pics Joe The King, The Jimmy Show, and New York City Serenade. Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong will play the boyfriend of Meester’s character. Debra Messing has been cast as the mother of the boy, who’ll be played by newcomer Julian Shatkin. J Smith Cameron (Rectify, Margaret) rounds out the cast. Filming is underway in New York with BB Films’ Uri Singer, FJ Productions’ Fabio Golombek, and Jim Jones, Trippe Lonian and TJ DeMark of Willhouse Media executive producing and Tagline Pictures’ Josh Kesselman and Danny Sherman producing. Meester, who sang a few tunes in Country Strong and appears in WB’s 2014 drama The Judge with Robert Downey, Jr., is repped by WME, Leverage, and Stone Meyer Genow. Whaley is repped by APA and Thruline Entertainment. Armstrong is repped by Gersh and PPM, INC. Messing is repped by Gersh and 3 Arts. Cameron is repped by Gersh. Shatkin is repped by Innovative Artists and Invictus Entertainment.
Leighton Meester, Billie Joe Armstrong, Debra Messing To Star In Frank Whaley’s ‘Like Sunday, Like Rain’
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
More From Yamato
- Sony Chief “Disappointed” By Obama Rebuke, Hollywood's Cowed Silence
- Fox International Ups Kieran Breen To Marketing President Post
- Sony Responds To President Obama's Criticism: “We Had No Choice,” Still Hope To Release 'The Interview'
- DGA Stands By 'The Interview' Directors, Calls On Feds To Protect Hollywood
- Aaron Sorkin Still In Bed With John Edwards Exposé 'The Politician'