The David Gordon Green-directed Joe is drawing a crowd. Lionsgate/Roadside Attractions has been the frontrunner all day in an auction held by CAA, with Magnolia and Sony Pictures Classics among those in the hunt. Right now, it’s between Lionsgate/Roadside Attractions and Magnolia as the bidding gets into the $2 million range. The film is a contemporary thriller that stars Nicolas Cage and Tye Sheridan and centers on Joe Ransom, a hard-living, hot-tempered ex-con who becomes a fierce protector of a hard-luck kid who awakens a paternal instinct in the rough loser. It’s based on the novel by Larry Brown and premiered Monday. If I had to guess, I’d put my money on Lionsgate/Roadshow, but it’s premature at this moment to put a bow on this one. Stay tuned.
Toronto: Nicolas Cage-Starrer ‘Joe’ Pits Lionsgate/Roadside Against Magnolia
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
More From Fleming Jr
- 'Homeland' Finale: 'Long Time Coming'
- Bart & Fleming: On…What Else? Sony Hack Attack
- Attention, Hacked And Beleaguered Sony Staffers: Self-Protection Tips
- Hollywood Needs Cyber Czar: Guest Column
- 'Saturday Night Live' At Halfway Mark: Reconsidering A Hot Mess
- Ben Affleck, Others Stumping For Bradley Cooper's 'American Sniper' Performance