We already knew that Downton Abbey would return to PBS on January 5. Now we have an official UK air date. Season 4 of the hit period drama will kick off on ITV on September 22 at 9 PM in what will be the world premiere. As with last year, it will have X Factor UK as a lead-in. The Season 3 debut on September 16, 2012 drew 8.64M viewers, down about 200K from the previous season. However, overall Season 3 was the highest-rated season so far for the series with an average of 9.7M viewers. The show’s return is marked by the absence of Dan Stevens, whose Matthew Crawley character died in the Christmas special last year, and by the lack of Siobhan Finneran, whose O’Brien has also left the show. The rest of the Crawley clan and the below-stairs crew are returning along with Shirley MacLaine as Cora’s mother Martha Levinson. New this year, and for various stretches, are Tom Cullen, Julian Ovenden, Kiri Te Kanawa, Harriet Walter, Nigel Harman, Joanna David, Gary Carr and Paul Giamatti. The first episode of Season 4 picks up six months following the death of Matthew. The “spine” of the season will be the fate of his widow, Lady Mary Crawley (Michelle Dockery), as she heads to the next stage of her life, exec producer Gareth Neame recently told me.
‘Downton Abbey’ Sets Season 4 UK Premiere Date
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Netflix Nabs Judd Apatow Comedy Series With 2-Season Order; Paul Rust & Gillian Jacobs To Star, Legendary TV To Produce
More From Tartaglione
- Global Showbiz Briefs: Rome Film Festival Reveals First 5 English-Language Titles; Soda Pictures Bringing 'Phoenix' To UK; More
- 'Help! I Can't Cook' Serves Up Record Debut In Israel; Is Keshet In The Sweet Spot Again?
- China: Understanding & Respect Key To Massive Market, But Does Anybody Know Anything?
- Global Showbiz Briefs: BBC's Hugh Bonneville Starrer 'W1A' Back For Season 2; Denmark's TDC Group Paying $2.15B For Norwegian…
- Intl Box Office Final: No. 1 Bragging Rights In China Too Close To Call As 'Storm,' 'Expendables 3′ And 'Apes' Fight It Out
- Patrice Théroux Exiting eOne; Steve Bertram Named President Global Film Group