Illumination Entertainment’s and Universal Pictures’ megahit toon sequel has grossed $498.4M internationally and will cross $500M at the overseas box office today. Despicable Me 2 is still playing at 3,000 dates in 41 territories right now and becomes the 10th highest grossing animated film of all time internationally. Combined with the U.S. estimated gross of $361.9M, the worldwide total will be $863.7M by Sunday after opening in Japan and South Africa. Pic is the second highest grossing film worldwide this year (behind Iron Man 3‘s $1.2B) and is Universal’s second highest grossing film of all time behind only Jurassic Park. Five territories yet to open: Serbia & Montenegro and Slovenia on Oct 3, Turkey on Oct 4, and Greece and Italy on Oct 10.
‘Despicable Me 2′ To Cross $500M Overseas
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
Sony Responds To President Obama's Criticism: "We Had No Choice," Still Hope To Release 'The Interview'
Obama: Sony Made Mistake Pulling 'The Interview'; U.S. Will Respond Proportionally At Time And Place We Choose -- Update
More From Team
- HBO's 'The Normal Heart' To Receive PGA's Stanley Kramer Award
- Watch President Obama Discuss Sony Hack In Year-End Press Conference (Live Stream)
- Comedy Central Moves Up '@Midnight' For 2 Weeks Ahead Of Larry Wilmore Premiere
- MPAA Says North Korea Attack On Sony Is “Despicable, Criminal Act”
- Hulu Acquires 'Fargo' Miniseries In Deal With MGM