EXCLUSIVE: The duo behind hit feature Lee Daniels’ The Butler – writer Danny Strong and director Lee Daniels — are reuniting, this time in television. Strong and Daniels have been brought back together by Brian Grazer for a hip hop drama project that sparked heated bidding among the four major broadcast networks before landing at Fox with a put pilot commitment. Written by Strong and to be directed by Daniels, the untitled project is described as a unique family drama set in the world of a hip hop empire. 20th Century Fox TV and studio-based Imagine TV are producing, with Strong, Daniels, Grazer and Francie Calfo executive producing. The deal for the TV project comes just as Butler, starring Forest Whitaker and Oprah Winfrey, crossed the $100 million box office mark in North America. It would mark Daniels’ TV debut, while Strong started his writing career in TV with HBO’s Recount and Game Change, earning Emmy nominations for both and winning for Game Change. Imagine has Parenthood on NBC and the rebooted Arrested Development on Netflix as well as upcoming series Gang Related and Those Who Kill on A&E. Strong and Daniels are with CAA, which also reps Imagine.
Fox Lands Hip-Hop Drama From Brian Grazer & ‘Butler’ Team Of Lee Daniels & Danny Strong With Put Pilot Commitment
What's Hot on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Parminder Nagra Cast In ABC Pilot ‘The Kingmakers’
- Matthew Lillard To Star In ‘Problem Child’ NBC Pilot
- ‘True Blood’s Rutina Wesley To Star In ‘Broad Squad’, More ABC Pilots Add Cast
- NBC Picks Up Sniper Miniseries ‘The Reaper’ From Weinstein Co.
- Martha Plimpton To Star In Dan Savage ABC Pilot ‘Family of the Year’
- Christina Vidal To Star In ‘The Curse Of the Fuentes Women’ Pilot, Daphne Rubin-Vega Also Cast