UPDATED: The 4,500 employees represent 40 percent of BlackBerry‘s total work force. The news today came as the company reported a nearly $1 billion second-quarter loss in an unexpected early release of earnings results. The stock dropped 19 percent to $8.50 after reopening for trading. Shares had been halted pending the news. Shares closed at $8.83, down $1.79 or 17.1 percent. BlackBerry has been hammered by competition from Apple’s iPhone as well as Android-based rivals.
BlackBerry To Lay Off 4,500 Employees
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Oscar De La Renta Dies: Fashion Icon Was 82 – Update
- Lucas Hedges & Penn Badgley Join 'The Slap' Miniseries On NBC; 'Full Circle' Sets Cast
- 'Gold Rush' 5th Season Debut Hits Ratings Motherlode For Discovery
- OSCARS: Eight Documentary Shorts On 2014 Shortlist
- Roger Howarth Joins 'The Flash'; Ryan Hurst In 'Bates Motel'
- Disney Animation Unveils 'Moana' From 'Little Mermaid' Filmmakers For November 2016