EXCLUSIVE: I’ve learned that Naren Shankar is leaving Fox‘s new drama series Almost Human, where he served as executive producer/co-showrunner alongside creator/executive producer/showrunner J.H. Wyman. Almost Human, from Warner Bros. TV and J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot, is described as an action-packed police drama set 35 years in the future, when cops are partnered with highly evolved human-like androids. Shankar joined Almost Human after the upfronts. Unlike Wyman/Bad Robot’s previous sci-fi Fox series, the heavily serialized Fringe, Almost Human is at heart a police drama. That explains the idea of bringing in a co-showrunner with extensive procedural background like CSI veteran Shankar, who served as co-showrunner on the long-running CBS crime drama and was an executive producer on another police drama with genre elements — NBC’s Grimm. While I hear Wyman and Shankar got along very well personally, like it happens with some showrunner marriages, this one didn’t quite work for this particular show. Wyman will continue as sole showrunner, with no immediate plans to bring in a new co-showrunner. Almost Human premieres Nov. 4.
‘Almost Human’ Co-Showrunner Naren Shankar Exits
What's Hot on Deadline
'Gods Of Egypt': 'Selma' Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity - Update
Thanksgiving Box Office +12% Over 2014, Boosted By 'Mockingjay 2', 'Good Dinosaur' & 'Creed' - Sunday AM Final Update
China Makes Space For ‘The Martian’ As ‘Good Dinosaur’ Snatches Eggs From No. 1 ‘Mockingjay 2’ – Intl B.O. Update
’The Danish Girl’ Bows With Style; 'Janis: Little Girl Blue' Solid In Debut; 'Carol’ Dominates Thanksgiving: Specialty B.O.
Latest TV News
- Jeremy Clarkson Introduces Amazon Drone Delivery Ahead Of ‘#Drive2Prime’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Midseason Finale Continues Blockbuster’s Fatal Year-End Tradition
- ‘Joy’s New TV Trailer: Fox Posts Spot Amid Initial Industry Screenings
- Al Markim, Who Played Astro In Pioneering ‘Tom Corbett, Space Cadet,’ Dies At 88
- ‘MasterChef Jr.’ Ratings Down, ‘Amazing Race’ Even, ‘Santa Claus’ Matches 2014
- ‘NFL On CBS’ Snags Strong Thanksgiving Day Ratings