EXCLUSIVE: Almost two decades after The Hunchback Of Notre Dame animated feature, Disney is revisiting Victor Hugo’s gothic classic, this time in TV. ABC has put in development Esmeralda, a limited/event series written by feature scribe Evan Daugherty, who co-wrote a revisionist take of another classic tale with Snow White And The Huntsman. Produced by ABC Studios and studio-based Mandeville Films, Esmeralda is a period drama that re-imagines The Hunchback Of Notre Dame through the eyes of beautiful Gypsy Esmeralda. Daugherty is executive producing with Mandeville’s David Hoberman, Todd Lieberman and Laurie Zaks. Esmeralda is the latest entry in the event series genre, which is red hot among the broadcast and cable networks. It marks the first major sale for Mandeville since the company signed a new deal with ABC Studios and brought in Zaks as president of television in April. Daugherty, whose credits include Killing Season, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Divergent, is with UTA, which also reps Mandeville, and BenderSpink.
ABC Developing ‘The Hunchback Of Notre Dame’ Event Series With Evan Daugherty & Mandeville
What's Hot on Deadline
Cloris Leachman On Gene Wilder & The 'Young Frankenstein' Scene That Cracked Him Up: "We Had To Do It 14 Times"
Bruce Lee-Inspired Crime Drama ‘Warrior’ From Justin Lin & 'Banshee' Co-Creator Gets Cinemax Pilot Order
Latest TV News
- Michael Shannon & Taylor Kitsch Topline Weinstein Co. Series ‘Waco’, Based On 1993 Siege
- One World Sports Network Drops Off Dish; Sides Blame Each Other
- CBS Developing New Adaptation Of UK Comedy Series ‘Friday Night Dinner’
- ABC Buys Laura Krafft Family Comedy
- Don Buchwald & Associates Expands Team With Four New Agents, Promotes Two
- ‘The Blacklist’ Adds Leon Rippy; Phylicia Rashad Joins ‘Empire’