EXCLUSIVE: Almost two decades after The Hunchback Of Notre Dame animated feature, Disney is revisiting Victor Hugo’s gothic classic, this time in TV. ABC has put in development Esmeralda, a limited/event series written by feature scribe Evan Daugherty, who co-wrote a revisionist take of another classic tale with Snow White And The Huntsman. Produced by ABC Studios and studio-based Mandeville Films, Esmeralda is a period drama that re-imagines The Hunchback Of Notre Dame through the eyes of beautiful Gypsy Esmeralda. Daugherty is executive producing with Mandeville’s David Hoberman, Todd Lieberman and Laurie Zaks. Esmeralda is the latest entry in the event series genre, which is red hot among the broadcast and cable networks. It marks the first major sale for Mandeville since the company signed a new deal with ABC Studios and brought in Zaks as president of television in April. Daugherty, whose credits include Killing Season, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Divergent, is with UTA, which also reps Mandeville, and BenderSpink.
ABC Developing ‘The Hunchback Of Notre Dame’ Event Series With Evan Daugherty & Mandeville
What's Hot on Deadline
M Night Shyamalan Unveils 'Glass': 'Unbreakable' & 'Split' Sequel To Star Bruce Willis, Samuel L Jackson, James McAvoy
Bravo Unveils Unscripted Slate With 6 New & 18 Returning Series; More 'Real Housewives' & 'Vanderpump Rules'
'Timeless' EP Eric Kripke On The Moment He Realized He Was Telling A James Bond Story — AwardsLine Screening Series
Latest TV News
- ‘Z: The Beginning Of Everything’ Renewed For Season 2 By Amazon
- Sean Hannity Could Leave Fox News If Murdochs Don’t Back Besieged Co-Prez Bill Shine
- ‘Dear White People’ Review: TV Series Based Movie Is Funny & Moving
- ‘Bachelor’ Alum Chris Soules’ Lawyers Insist He Didn’t Leave Scene Of Fatal Accident
- BET Greenlights New Series From Kevin Hart, Steve Harvey, Wanda Sykes & More – Upfronts
- Warner Bros. TV Ups Peter Girardi To Dual EVP Roles