EXCLUSIVE: Almost two decades after The Hunchback Of Notre Dame animated feature, Disney is revisiting Victor Hugo’s gothic classic, this time in TV. ABC has put in development Esmeralda, a limited/event series written by feature scribe Evan Daugherty, who co-wrote a revisionist take of another classic tale with Snow White And The Huntsman. Produced by ABC Studios and studio-based Mandeville Films, Esmeralda is a period drama that re-imagines The Hunchback Of Notre Dame through the eyes of beautiful Gypsy Esmeralda. Daugherty is executive producing with Mandeville’s David Hoberman, Todd Lieberman and Laurie Zaks. Esmeralda is the latest entry in the event series genre, which is red hot among the broadcast and cable networks. It marks the first major sale for Mandeville since the company signed a new deal with ABC Studios and brought in Zaks as president of television in April. Daugherty, whose credits include Killing Season, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Divergent, is with UTA, which also reps Mandeville, and BenderSpink.
ABC Developing ‘The Hunchback Of Notre Dame’ Event Series With Evan Daugherty & Mandeville
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- ABC Buys Medical Thriller From Janine Sherman Barrois & Aaron Kaplan
- Bob Cooper, EOne Prep Post-Apocalyptic Event Series With Book Acquisition
- Fox Buys Detective Drama Based On Australian Miniseries 'Jack Irish'
- 'The Greatest American Hero' Gets Fox Remake With Phil Lord & Chris Miller
- Jennifer Johnson Exiting 'The Following' As Showrunner, Trio Takes Over
- Enver Gjokaj & Chad Michael Murray Cast In ABC Series 'Marvel's Agent Carter'