EXCLUSIVE: Almost two decades after The Hunchback Of Notre Dame animated feature, Disney is revisiting Victor Hugo’s gothic classic, this time in TV. ABC has put in development Esmeralda, a limited/event series written by feature scribe Evan Daugherty, who co-wrote a revisionist take of another classic tale with Snow White And The Huntsman. Produced by ABC Studios and studio-based Mandeville Films, Esmeralda is a period drama that re-imagines The Hunchback Of Notre Dame through the eyes of beautiful Gypsy Esmeralda. Daugherty is executive producing with Mandeville’s David Hoberman, Todd Lieberman and Laurie Zaks. Esmeralda is the latest entry in the event series genre, which is red hot among the broadcast and cable networks. It marks the first major sale for Mandeville since the company signed a new deal with ABC Studios and brought in Zaks as president of television in April. Daugherty, whose credits include Killing Season, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Divergent, is with UTA, which also reps Mandeville, and BenderSpink.
ABC Developing ‘The Hunchback Of Notre Dame’ Event Series With Evan Daugherty & Mandeville
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
More From Andreeva
- 'Saturday Night Live' Ratings On Par With Host Amy Adams
- Veronica Osorio Inks Talent Deal With Fox
- ABC Buys FBI Drama Produced By Jordan Kerner
- David Schwimmer To Play Robert Kardashian In FX's 'American Crime Story: People Vs. O.J.'
- Sarah Jessica Parker Poised To Star In HBO Divorce Comedy Pilot
- Ernie Hudson To Play Poseidon On 'Once Upon a Time'