The Yellow Brick Road will run through the Golden Arches. Warner Bros said today it will spend about $25 million on its comprehensive campaign for the 75th anniversary of the iconic 1939 film and that McDonald’s will lead the charge. For three weeks starting September 20, the fast-food behemoth will offer The Wizard Of Oz toys in Happy Meals at more than 14,000 outlets in North America. Other corporate marketing partners include QVC, which will offer Oz-themed products starting September 26, and Food Network’s Cupcake Wars, which will air an Oz competition episode two days later. Warners also added licensees for toys, games, clothes, jewelry, collectibles and much more. Warners, IMAX and TCL Chinese Theatre IMAX will host the September 15 world premiere of the 3D giant-screen version of the Judy Garland classic, which premiered at the then-Grauman’s Chinese Theatre. It screens the same day at the Toronto Film Festival. A weeklong IMAX run in more than 300 theaters in North America follows, and a five-disc Collectors Edition set streets October 1. From the release about merchandising partners:
McDonald’s, the world’s leading global foodservice retailer, tops the far-reaching national campaign encompassing a huge number of promotional partners and licensees that will support this historic release. McDonald’s will feature limited edition The Wizard of Oz toys in Happy Meals in over 14,000 locations throughout the U.S. and Canada from Sept. 20 through Oct. 10 at participating restaurants while supplies last. The Wizard of Oz Happy Meal® program features one of six adorable stylized figures, including the most popular and beloved characters of the film. As part of their Happy Meal purchase, kids can receive Dorothy, Scarecrow, Wicked Witch of the West, Tin Man, Glinda the Good Witch or Cowardly Lion. Each figure comes with a Yellow Brick Road™ base to stand on. All of the bases in the line-up can connect together, allowing kids to recreate their own version of The Wizard of Oz friends walking down the Yellow Brick Road. For added fun, kids can fill in the blanks to their favorite The Wizard of Oz movie quotes right on the Happy Meal box.
Below details the programs of some of the other national corporate marketing partners:
• Amtrak will participate by displaying in-station and on-train signage, from November through December 2013, along with an adventure sweepstakes supported by online and social media.
• “Cupcake Wars” – Cupcake baker contestants on this Food Network show will be transforming their personal visions of The Wizard of Oz into gorgeously decorated sweet confections with an Oz-themed competition, to be aired Saturday, September 28 at 8 pm ET/PT.
• Gourmet Trading Company, the leading distributor of fresh asparagus in North America, will promote The Wizard of Oz for six months on 2.5 million bunches of asparagus with call outs about the release on hang tags, as well as guidance for consumers on how to connect via Gourmet’s Facebook page for a chance to win special prizes.
• Langer Juice Company, Inc. will place a premium on-pack commemorative offer on their juices, found in major retailers across the country. Interactive media support will accompany the promotion.
• The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the Ad Council are partnering with The Wizard of Oz on a variety of TV, outdoor, radio and digital Public Service Announcements (PSAs) featuring iconic elements from the beloved film and focusing on child passenger safety. The PSAs will direct consumers to safercar.gov/therightseat and safercar.gov/protegidos and will run in donated media nationally.
• One Kings Lane, known for providing distinctive, one-of-a-kind items for the home, will be celebrating the anniversary with cinema memorabilia and other important objects of the era on September 20th at OneKingsLane.com.
• QVC® will celebrate The Wizard of Oz anniversary release with special programming and product. “The Wizard of Oz 75th Anniversary Celebration” is scheduled to debut on QVC® September 26, at 9PM (ET), for commemorative collections of jewelry, toys, collectibles, books, DVD and beauty products that celebrate the classic film.
• Simon Malls® will host themed Simon Kidgits Club® events in 100 Simon® malls across the country during the month of September.
• Finally, The Wizard of Oz will be delighting millions of spectators and viewers across the country, as part of the iconic 87th Annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade®, a world-famous holiday event, with a giant hot-air balloon and balloonheads of The Wizard of Oz characters.
Warner Bros. Consumer Products will also support the milestone anniversary with a robust licensing program consisting of more than 80 top-tier licensees. Master toy partner Jazwares leads the way, followed by new licensees including Dylan’s Candy Bar, philosophy, PaperStyle, Julep, The Noble Collection and NECA. Other prominent partners supporting the film include Mattel, Madame Tussauds, Rubie’s Costume Company, Steiff and many more. Commemorative anniversary products will be available across a wide range of categories including apparel, jewelry, fine art, collectibles, stationery and paper goods, toys and games and personal care.