EXCLUSIVE: Following the massively positive reaction to Stephen Frears’ Philomena here in Venice, The Weinstein Co is firming its U.S. release plans. Philomena will go out first in New York and Los Angeles on Christmas Day and then will open wide on January 10, say TWC execs Robert Walak and Negeen Yazdi. The movie was warmly received at its screening here this morning; Frears and stars Judi Dench and Steve Coogan also got a standing ovation at a press conference a little while ago. It had already been expected to play a role in TWC’s awards season plans, and there has been kudo chatter since the first screening today, with folks noting that Frears’ 2006 The Queen started its awards career here.
Venice: The Weinstein Co Sets Christmas Release For ‘Philomena’
What's Hot on Deadline
Bernie Sanders: Obama Administration "Should Kill" The AT&T-Time Warner Deal: "Higher Prices & Fewer Choices"
'The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon' Showrunner Josh Lieb Departs For Uni TV Overall Deal, Trio Promoted To Run Show
Latest Film News
- ‘The Conjuring’s Hayes Brothers Writing Duo Sign With CAA
- ‘Madea Halloween’ Gets $28.5M Treat, ‘Jack Reacher,’ $22.8M, ‘Ouija’ Grabs $14M, ‘Joneses’ Tanks…
- Peter Jackson & Fran Walsh Rev ‘Mortal Engines’; Directing Debut For ‘Hobbit’ VFX Protege…
- Why Does Time Warner Want To Sell To AT&T, And What Will It Mean For Media?
- Margot Robbie Near Deal To Join ‘Peter Rabbit’
- Paramount Picks Up Spec ‘Northeast Kingdom’ For Platinum Dunes; Alex R. Johnson Attached To Direct