Just ahead of its premiere here in Venice, documentary Double Play: James Benning And Richard Linklater has been set by FilmBuff for a 2014 digital U.S. release. Gabe Klinger directed the docu that follows the eponymous filmmakers as they riff on sports, art and friendship over the course of a weekend in Austin, Texas. The movie also combines the chats with extensive archival material. The pair first met in 1988 when Benning was the Austin Film Society’s first out-of-town filmmaker invitee. At the time, his credits included 1977’s One Way Boogie Woogie and 1984’s American Dreams: Lost And Found. Linklater was making shorts when he met Benning and went on to direct cult 1991 hit Slacker. When Linklater started working on bigger films, his and Benning’s paths diverged with the latter continuing to make micro-budget movies and avoid the film industry at all costs. The doc explores how their career choices have influenced the course of their lives. FilmBuff is also handling worldwide sales. The movie bows in Venice on September 3.
Venice: FilmBuff To Release ‘Double Play: James Benning And Richard Linklater’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Tartaglione
- Global Showbiz Briefs: Berlin Sets Wim Wenders Homage; BBC Two Orders 'Stonemouth' & UK's First Transgender Series; More
- Edinburgh: Channel 4 Boss David Abraham Says UK TV Biz Showing U.S. How It's Done
- Edinburgh: Channel 4 Orders North Korea Political Thriller By Matt Charman
- Edinburgh: Judi Dench & More Join Benedict Cumberbatch In BBC Two's 'Richard III'
- Edinburgh: Channel 4 Joins Acquisition Bandwagon With Stakes In 4 Indies
- Global Showbiz Briefs: BBC Unveils 'Doctor Who' Web Series; 'Coronation Street' & 'Emmerdale' Staying On Aussie TV Into 2020