Just ahead of its premiere here in Venice, documentary Double Play: James Benning And Richard Linklater has been set by FilmBuff for a 2014 digital U.S. release. Gabe Klinger directed the docu that follows the eponymous filmmakers as they riff on sports, art and friendship over the course of a weekend in Austin, Texas. The movie also combines the chats with extensive archival material. The pair first met in 1988 when Benning was the Austin Film Society’s first out-of-town filmmaker invitee. At the time, his credits included 1977’s One Way Boogie Woogie and 1984’s American Dreams: Lost And Found. Linklater was making shorts when he met Benning and went on to direct cult 1991 hit Slacker. When Linklater started working on bigger films, his and Benning’s paths diverged with the latter continuing to make micro-budget movies and avoid the film industry at all costs. The doc explores how their career choices have influenced the course of their lives. FilmBuff is also handling worldwide sales. The movie bows in Venice on September 3.
Venice: FilmBuff To Release ‘Double Play: James Benning And Richard Linklater’
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
Obama: Sony Made Mistake Pulling 'The Interview'; U.S. Will Respond Proportionally At Time And Place We Choose -- Update
Jennifer Aniston May Be On The Fast Track To Oscar As Awards Groups Shower Her With Best Actress Nominations
More From Tartaglione
- Foreign Language Oscar Shortlist: 'Force Majeure', 'Ida' In; 'White God', 'Mommy' Miss Cut
- Will Sony Hack Impact UK Channel 4's North Korea Spy Thriller 'Opposite Number'?
- Q&A: Adopt Films' Tim Grady On Getting Americans To See Foreign-Lingo Movies
- Foreign Language Oscar Shortlist: A Preview Of Possibilities, Part 3
- 'The Interview' A No-Go Internationally As Well
- Foreign Language Oscar Shortlist: A Preview Of Possibilities, Part 2