EXCLUSIVE: Miles Teller, who went from Project X to The Spectacular Now, has signed on to star in Whiplash, a feature that’s being made from the Sundance Short Film Jury Award-winning pic of the same title. Damien Chazelle, who wrote the short, will direct the full-length feature, which starts shooting in September.J.K. Simmons portrays a brutal jazz orchestra teacher who unloads his frustrations on a novice drummer (Teller) who begins to lose his humanity in his quest to become the core skins pounder of the top jazz orchestra in the country. The tone they’re going for is Full Metal Jacket at Juilliard — and if you’ve seen Simmons’ work in the HBO series Oz, he’s quite a tormenter when motivated. Whiplash is produced by Bold Films, Jason Reitman, Helen Estabrook, Jason Blum and Couper Samuelson. Bold Films is financing the picture. Teller is repped by CAA. Teller next co-stars in Divergent, and co-stars opposite Zac Efron and Michael B. Jordan in Film District’s Are We Officially Dating. The Whiplash short was made specifically to get funding for a feature-length version, and it worked.
‘The Spectacular Now’s Miles Teller Gets ‘Whiplash’
What's Hot on Deadline
Sarah Silverman Calls Fellow Bernie Sanders Supporters "Ridiculous"; Al Franken Rips Donald Trump At DNC - Update
DNC Gavels In As Talk Swirls Of Bernie Sanders' Name Being Put In Nomination; Ohio Rep. Made Convention Chair
Latest Film News
- TIFF 2016 Lineup Announcement Live Stream
- Disney-Owned Foodles Production Admits Two Breaches Over Harrison Ford ‘Star Wars’ Accident
- Paramount And European Union Finalize Deal Over Anti-Trust Investigation
- Panama Papers Movie Set At Netflix; John Wells Teams With Journos Who Broke Story
- Festival Fever Begins: Will ‘Magnificent Seven’ Saddle Up As Toronto Opener?
- ‘Indignation’ Review: Ex-Focus Boss James Schamus’ Directorial Debut Is Exceptional