EXCLUSIVE: Miles Teller, who went from Project X to The Spectacular Now, has signed on to star in Whiplash, a feature that’s being made from the Sundance Short Film Jury Award-winning pic of the same title. Damien Chazelle, who wrote the short, will direct the full-length feature, which starts shooting in September.J.K. Simmons portrays a brutal jazz orchestra teacher who unloads his frustrations on a novice drummer (Teller) who begins to lose his humanity in his quest to become the core skins pounder of the top jazz orchestra in the country. The tone they’re going for is Full Metal Jacket at Juilliard — and if you’ve seen Simmons’ work in the HBO series Oz, he’s quite a tormenter when motivated. Whiplash is produced by Bold Films, Jason Reitman, Helen Estabrook, Jason Blum and Couper Samuelson. Bold Films is financing the picture. Teller is repped by CAA. Teller next co-stars in Divergent, and co-stars opposite Zac Efron and Michael B. Jordan in Film District’s Are We Officially Dating. The Whiplash short was made specifically to get funding for a feature-length version, and it worked.
‘The Spectacular Now’s Miles Teller Gets ‘Whiplash’
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- ‘The Fighter’ Scribes To Co-Write Movie About Leicester City’s Hollywood-Ending English Soccer Season
- New Line Sets Sequel To Fright Sensation 'Lights Out'
- Anne Heche Plays Killer’s Mom In ‘My Friend Dahmer’
- ‘The Life And Death Of John Gotti’ Cast Locked
- Ben Foster Rounds Out Scott Cooper’s ‘Hostiles’ Cast As Shooting Starts
- John Leonetti To Direct Broad Green Horror Thriller ‘Wish Upon’