The new report should provide more fodder for the campaign by hedge fund titan Daniel Loeb to revamp Sony’s entertainment operations. With disappointing results from After Earth and a drop in home video sales, Sony says today that the studio’s revenues “decreased significantly” in Q2. The results are complicated, though. When you factor in currency exchange rates, a $106M gain from the sale of Sony Pictures’ music catalog, and higher TV ad sales in India, the Pictures unit’s revenues increased 3.6% vs the period last year to $1.6B with operating income of $38M, up from a loss. Sony’s music operation did better with help from releases including Pink’s The Truth About Love and Justin Timberlake’s The 20/20 Experience. Its sales improved 13.3% to $1.1B with operating income +48.1% to $109M. Despite the weak movie numbers, investors pushed Sony shares up 3.6% in pre-market trading as the electronics company generated a $35M profit, reversing a loss in last year’s quarter, on revenues of $17.3B, +13%. Smartphone sales were up, and the financial services operation did well — although R&D expenses for the upcoming PlayStation 4 contributed to an operating loss for the Game segment.
Sony Reports Significant Fall In Q2 Movie Revenues As Company Delivers A Profit
What's Hot on Deadline
'Captain America: Civil War' Blasts Off With $200.2M In First Overseas Frame; 'Jungle Book' Still A Beast - Intl Box Office Update
'Jungle Book' King Again, Reigns On Newcomer Parade: 'Keanu', 'Mother's Day' & 'Ratchet & Clank' - Sunday Update
Obama's Final White House Correspondents' Dinner Kicks Off With Will Smith, Priyanka Chopra, Bryan Cranston, WME & UTA Brass
Latest Business News
- Sony Second Studio To Reach Settlement In Animation Anti-Poaching Suit
- White House Correspondents Dinner: The Five Best Moments
- Larry Wilmore Savages Media, Ignites Controversy During White House Correspondents Dinner Skewering
- Labor Department: Art Directors Guild Exec Director Is “Officer” & Must Stand For Election
- How A DreamWorks-Illumination Combo Beats Disney At The B.O.
- NFL Draft Day 1 Viewership Down From 2015; ‘Big Bang Theory’ Wins Demo