Fandango is reporting that Syfy’s Sharknado sold out midnight showtimes in three cities – New York, Boston, and Seattle – and additional showtimes were added continuously to meet fan demand. The cult phenom is playing on roughly 200 screens in movie theaters across the country. Fandango called the sales pace “bloody good” for screenings hosted by Regal and NCM Fathon Events. Sharknado premiered on Syfy on July 11th, drawing just 1.4 million total viewers. But social media interest was high and a repeat viewing a week later on Syfy drew about a half-million more viewers. Starring Ian Ziering and Tara Reid, the pic’s nonsensical plot investigates the ecological nightmare of sharks caught in a tornado and falling from the skies into the streets of Los Angeles. The network has already ordered a 2014 version.
‘Sharknado’ Midnight Sales “Bloody Good”
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- Venice: 'La La Land' Dazzles Lido As Film Festival Kicks Off With A Twirl
- WME Vet Cliff Roberts Exiting; Will He End Up At CAA?
- Josh Hartnett In Talks To Star In Indie ‘A Moment To Remember’
- ‘Underground’ Exec Producer Mike Jackson On Challenging “Homogeneous” Hollywood & Having John Legend As…
- Tao Okamoto, Japanese Pop Star Kihiro, And Haruka Abe Cast In ‘She’s Just A Shadow’
- ‘Insidious: Chapter 4’ Rounds Out Final Cast