Fandango is reporting that Syfy’s Sharknado sold out midnight showtimes in three cities – New York, Boston, and Seattle – and additional showtimes were added continuously to meet fan demand. The cult phenom is playing on roughly 200 screens in movie theaters across the country. Fandango called the sales pace “bloody good” for screenings hosted by Regal and NCM Fathon Events. Sharknado premiered on Syfy on July 11th, drawing just 1.4 million total viewers. But social media interest was high and a repeat viewing a week later on Syfy drew about a half-million more viewers. Starring Ian Ziering and Tara Reid, the pic’s nonsensical plot investigates the ecological nightmare of sharks caught in a tornado and falling from the skies into the streets of Los Angeles. The network has already ordered a 2014 version.
‘Sharknado’ Midnight Sales “Bloody Good”
Trending Now on Deadline
'Black-ish', 'Grey's Anatomy', 'Castle', 'The Goldbergs', 'Modern Family', 'Once Upon A Time' & Others Get Extra Episodes At ABC
More From Team
- 'Madam Secretary' Coming To U.K. On Sky Living; NBCUniversal International Television Production Pacts With TV3 Group Ireland…
- 'High Profits': New CNN Series Profiles Colorado Pot Business Owners
- Mary McCormack & Alicia Witt Join 'House Of Lies'; Lindsey Gort In 'Self Promotion'
- Courtney Love To Guest Star In Fox's 'Empire'
- 'Good Morning America' Ratings Lead Morning Infotainment Race
- Zachary Booth, Bill Irwin, Six More Round Out 'South Of Hell' Cast On WE TV