Fandango is reporting that Syfy’s Sharknado sold out midnight showtimes in three cities – New York, Boston, and Seattle – and additional showtimes were added continuously to meet fan demand. The cult phenom is playing on roughly 200 screens in movie theaters across the country. Fandango called the sales pace “bloody good” for screenings hosted by Regal and NCM Fathon Events. Sharknado premiered on Syfy on July 11th, drawing just 1.4 million total viewers. But social media interest was high and a repeat viewing a week later on Syfy drew about a half-million more viewers. Starring Ian Ziering and Tara Reid, the pic’s nonsensical plot investigates the ecological nightmare of sharks caught in a tornado and falling from the skies into the streets of Los Angeles. The network has already ordered a 2014 version.
‘Sharknado’ Midnight Sales “Bloody Good”
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Box Office Friday: 'Guardians' Tops 2014; 'As Above/So Below' Nabs No. 3; 'Cantinflas' Es Excelente!
More From Team
- UPDATE: Abrams Artists & 'Ghost Adventures' Producer End Commissions Dispute
- Wil Wheaton Blogs His Syfy Show Is Toast
- Miranda Mayo Joins 'Pretty Little Liars'; Samm Levine In 'Selfie'
- A+E Networks Outbids Time Warner For 10% Vice Media Stake
- HBO Miniseries 'Olive Kitteridge' Sets November Premiere Dates
- UPDATE: Joan Rivers Is “Resting Comfortably”, Says Daughter Melissa