Legendary American novelist and screenwriter Elmore Leonard passed away this morning in Detroit following complications from a stroke. He was 87. A post on his Facebook page says he was “at home surrounded by his loving family” when he died at 7:15 AM. Some of the author’s works to be transformed into Hollywood movies included Hombre, 52 Pick-Up, Out Of Sight, 3:10 To Yuma, Get Shorty and Jackie Brown (which was based on his Rum Punch). The FX series Justified is based on his novella Fire In The Hole. Life Of Crime, adapted from Leonard’s novel The Switch, is to have a gala presentation in Toronto next month. Leonard was born in 1925 in New Orleans and settled in Detroit in 1934. In the 1950s there, he started out writing Westerns while also toiling as an ad man. He went on to specialize in crime thrillers with his trademark brand of simple dialogue and indelible characters who sometimes appeared across several of his works. Among his 10 Rules Of Writing were, “If it sounds like writing, I rewrite it” and “Try to leave out the part that readers tend to skip.” At the time of his hospitalization in early August, Leonard was “very much” at work on his 46th novel, his researcher Gregg Sutter told The Detroit News.
R.I.P. Elmore Leonard
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
Obama: Sony Made Mistake Pulling 'The Interview'; U.S. Will Respond Proportionally At Time And Place We Choose -- Update
Jennifer Aniston May Be On The Fast Track To Oscar As Awards Groups Shower Her With Best Actress Nominations
More From Team
- Republicans To Exhibitors: Play 'The Interview'
- 'Orange Is The New Black' Inmates Croon A Zany 'Twelve Days Of Christmas' – Watch
- North Korea Wants To Work With U.S. To Find Hacker; Obama Admin Asks China For Help – UPDATE
- Sony Hack: Guardians Of Peace YouTube Video Jeering FBI Sent To Journalists
- Emmy-Winning Daytime TV Director Larry Auerbach, Dead At 91
- Embeth Davidtz & Jack Noseworthy Join 'Marilyn' Miniseries; 'Lumen' Pilot Rounds Out Cast