EXCLUSIVE: The Devil Wears Prada helmer David Frankel has signed on to direct NBC’s comedy pilot Girlfriend In a Coma, which had been dormant for the past four months. The network, writer Liz Brixius and producers, Wolf Films and Universal TV, made the decision to push the project in late March, shortly after the exit of Christina Ricci, originally cast as the lead. The pilot, whose script had been a favorite of NBC brass, is now headed to production again with Frankel on board, joined by original cast members Miranda Cosgrove and Daniel Stern whose options were extended. Based on Douglas Coupland’s book, Girlfriend In A Coma centers on Karen, a woman who was in a coma for many years and unexpectedly wakes up to find she has a 17-year-old daughter, Evie (Cosgrove). Stern plays Karen’s dad who has been raising Evie with his wife. Dick Wolf, Brixius, Danielle Gelber and Peter Jankowski exec produce. Frankel, repped by WME and Anonymous Content, also directed the pilot for HBO’s Entourage and the feature Marley and Me.
NBC Comedy Pilot ‘Girlfriend In A Coma’ Back On Track With David Frankel Directing
What's Hot on Deadline
'Pacific Rim Uprising' Takes No. 1 With $23M+; 'Black Panther' Best Marvel Title Ever At Domestic B.O., Beating 'Avengers'
'Isle Of Dogs': Kunichi Nomura On The Asian Authenticity Of Wes Anderson's Stop-Motion Canine Adventure
Latest TV News
- Netflix Teams With Formula 1 Racing For New Series
- Bill Maher Says Breitbart & Bannon Just Bitter Hollywood Failures
- ‘The Simpsons’ Offers Fresh Video Send-up Of Trump Foibles: ‘A Tale Of Two Trumps’
- SAG-AFTRA Mourns NYC Firefighter Killed Battling Blaze On Movie Set
- DuShon Monique Brown Dies: ‘Chicago Fire’ Actress Was 49
- ‘Steps’: Ryan Michelle Bathe Cast As A Lead In ABC Comedy Pilot