EXCLUSIVE: The Devil Wears Prada helmer David Frankel has signed on to direct NBC’s comedy pilot Girlfriend In a Coma, which had been dormant for the past four months. The network, writer Liz Brixius and producers, Wolf Films and Universal TV, made the decision to push the project in late March, shortly after the exit of Christina Ricci, originally cast as the lead. The pilot, whose script had been a favorite of NBC brass, is now headed to production again with Frankel on board, joined by original cast members Miranda Cosgrove and Daniel Stern whose options were extended. Based on Douglas Coupland’s book, Girlfriend In A Coma centers on Karen, a woman who was in a coma for many years and unexpectedly wakes up to find she has a 17-year-old daughter, Evie (Cosgrove). Stern plays Karen’s dad who has been raising Evie with his wife. Dick Wolf, Brixius, Danielle Gelber and Peter Jankowski exec produce. Frankel, repped by WME and Anonymous Content, also directed the pilot for HBO’s Entourage and the feature Marley and Me.
NBC Comedy Pilot ‘Girlfriend In A Coma’ Back On Track With David Frankel Directing
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- GSN Renews 'It Takes A Church' & 'The Chase'
- WE TV Orders 'Sex Box' Series About Couples Having & Discussing Sex
- Comedy Writer Lindsey Shockley Inks Overall Deal With ABC Studios
- RATINGS RAT RACE: 'Big Brother' & 'Penn & Teller: Fool Us' Perk Up, 'SYTYCD' Slips
- CBS Buys Adaptation Of British Comedy 'Friday Night Dinner' As Put Pilot
- ABC Developing Derrick Storm Drama With 'Castle's Andrew Marlowe