EXCLUSIVE: The Devil Wears Prada helmer David Frankel has signed on to direct NBC’s comedy pilot Girlfriend In a Coma, which had been dormant for the past four months. The network, writer Liz Brixius and producers, Wolf Films and Universal TV, made the decision to push the project in late March, shortly after the exit of Christina Ricci, originally cast as the lead. The pilot, whose script had been a favorite of NBC brass, is now headed to production again with Frankel on board, joined by original cast members Miranda Cosgrove and Daniel Stern whose options were extended. Based on Douglas Coupland’s book, Girlfriend In A Coma centers on Karen, a woman who was in a coma for many years and unexpectedly wakes up to find she has a 17-year-old daughter, Evie (Cosgrove). Stern plays Karen’s dad who has been raising Evie with his wife. Dick Wolf, Brixius, Danielle Gelber and Peter Jankowski exec produce. Frankel, repped by WME and Anonymous Content, also directed the pilot for HBO’s Entourage and the feature Marley and Me.
NBC Comedy Pilot ‘Girlfriend In A Coma’ Back On Track With David Frankel Directing
What's Hot on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Amber West To Star In Jarrod Carmichael NBC Comedy Pilot
- Sarah Silverman To Star In HBO Pilot From 'Secret Diary Of A Call Girl' Creator
- FXX Launches Late-Night Animation Block With Series From ADHD Studios
- 'MasterChef Jr.' Finale Up, 'Voice' Finale Down From 2013, 'NCIS: NOLA' Hits Low
- Julian McMahon & Daisy Betts Join Syfy's 'Childhood's End'