The woman appointed in 2009 by President Obama as the nation’s first intellectual property czar has left the post. The Hill reported today that Victoria Espinel, who stepped down Friday, is a top candidate to run BSA | The Software Alliance, a trade group for software companies. Espinel in June issued the “Joint Strategic Plan On Intellectual Property Enforcement,” in which she said the White House will help tech companies, studios and others to come up with voluntary initiatives to fight piracy as part of a broader effort to attack the problem. During her tenure as U.S. Intellectual Property Enforcement Coordinator, Espinosa lobbied to making illegal streaming of IP a felony, among other anti-piracy efforts. But last month, the MPAA chafed over what it considers the White House’s limited effort to reduce ad sales to web pirates. Howard Shelanski, administrator of the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs at the Office of Management and Budget, will take over while a search is conducted for a permanent replacement.
Nation’s First IP Czar Steps Down
What's Hot on Deadline
Robert Redford Sanguine About Donald Trump But "Depressed" About Partisan Politics At Sundance Opening Presser
'A Dog's Purpose' Producer "Horrified" Seeing Video Of Dog Almost Drowning On Set; PETA Calls For Boycott Of Film
At Pre-Inaugural Concert, Donald Trump Promises "We Will Turn It Around"; His Nemesis Wayne Barrett Has Died
Paramount Gets China Infusion: $1 Billion, 3-Year Slate Co-Financing Deal With Shanghai Film Group & Huahua Media
'A Dog's Purpose' Director Lasse Hallstrom & Voice Actor Josh Gad Upset Over "Disturbing" Video Of Terrified Dog
Latest Film News
- Jim G In Play: Legendary, Sony, Warner Bros.?
- Al Gore Stays Mute On Donald Trump At ‘Inconvenient Sequel’ Sundance Screening
- ‘A Dog’s Purpose’ Weekend Premiere And Press Junket Cancelled Amid Video Controversy
- ‘American Paradise’ Trailer: Sundance Short Is Crime Caper Preview Of Trump’s America
- ‘A Dog’s Purpose’ Trailer Voice-Over Talent Anthony Mendez Joins Protest, Donates All Pay to ASPCA
- ‘Fun Mom Dinner’ Racks Up Near $5M In WW Deals As Momentum & Netflix Buy Sundance Film