The Jeff Zucker-run network’s desire to top the cable news heap may still be a dream but CNN did come out on top on Wednesday in one category. CNN was No. 1 among adults 25-54 during President Barack Obama’s remarks yesterday commemorating the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr’s historic “I Have A Dream” speech at the 1963 March on Washington. The network pulled in 246,000 viewers in the demo during the 12 PM PT hour that saw Obama take the podium. That’s 15,000 more than MSNBC had in the same time slot in the demo and almost 100,000 more than the 150,000 that Fox News Channel garnered. While the NBCUniversal cable news network continues to have a rough ratings ride of late it did manage to draw in more total viewers that either of its main rivals during Obama’s speech. MSNBC had 928,000 total viewers during the Noon to 1 PM PT hour compared to 770,000 for CNN and 713,000 for FNC. That’s a big leap up from the 302,000 total viewers that MSNBC’s The Cycle received on August 21. CNN was also tops among the 25-54s for the first hour of the anniversary coverage at 11 AM PT with 178,000 watching. FNC were a close second with 173,000 and MSNBC were third with 158,000. In terms of total viewership during that first hour, it was almost flipped with MSNBC No. 1 (813,000), FNC No. 2 (704,000) and CNN (558,000) in third place. Overall, Fox News won the whole day with 225,000 watching in the demo and 1.106 million viewers total.
CNN Wins Demo For Obama’s MLK Speech On D.C. March 50th Anniversary
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Keeps B.O. Treasure From 'Tomb Raider'; How 'I Can Only Imagine' Hit A $17M High Note
Ellen Barkin Says "Never Get Into An Elevator Alone With Terry Gilliam" After His Criticism Of #MeToo Movement
'SNL': Anderson Cooper Addresses White House Firings; John Goodman & Fred Armisen Make Surprise Visits
'Avengers: Infinity War' Already The Best-Selling Superhero Movie In Advance Ticket Sales, Beating 'Black Panther'
Latest TV News
- Desilu Exploring U.S. Public Offering After Acquisition Of Israel’s Vonetize: Report
- ‘Saturday Night Live’ Ratings Rise With Host Bill Hader
- ‘SNL’ Imagines #MeToo Apology Spree By “Canada’s Harvey Weinstein,” Trots Out Impressions In ‘Jurassic…
- Paramount’s ‘Dora The Explorer’ Movie Set For Australia Shoot After Tax Break Concession
- ‘SNL’: Anderson Cooper Addresses White House Firings; John Goodman & Fred Armisen Make Surprise Visits
- ‘Will & Grace’ Cast React To Season 3 Renewal; Talk Favorite Guest Stars