He has been on the big screen in the Big Apple doing Shakespeare a lot over the years but Kenneth Branagh is finally going to make his first appearance on the New York stage in Macbeth next summer. Fresh from a run this summer of the infamous Scottish play at the Manchester International Festival, the recently knighted actor will both co-direct and take on the lead role in the play at NYC’s Park Avenue Armory in June 2014. The actor will be joined in the New York Macbeth at the 55,000 square feet Armory by former ER star and former Royal Shakespeare Company member Alex Kingston. The actress also played Lady Macbeth in the UK version of the play last month. “I am delighted that we have the chance to recreate Macbeth in this epic setting,” said Branagh in a statement today. Though well known for his film turns in Henry V, Much Ado About Nothing, As You Like It and 1996’s Hamlet, for which the Thor director was nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay at that year’s Oscars, Macbeth is not only Branagh’s first onstage performance in New York but his first Bard performance since a 2002 role as Richard III.
Kenneth Branagh Set For NYC Stage Debut In ‘Macbeth’ Next Year
What's Hot on Deadline
No Obama Bounce For DNC Day 3 Ratings As They Fall Behind RNC, 'Wayward Pines' Finale Down From 2015
Bill Maher On Hillary Clinton Nomination: "First, Lady Ghostbusters And Now This; America's On A Roll!"
Cristina Ferrare Out, Replaced By Debbie Matenopoulos As Co-Host Of Hallmark Channel's 'Home & Family'
Latest Film News
- James Schamus Debuts 'Indignation'; Oscar-Winner Barbara Kopple Charts 'Miss Sharon Jones!' – Specialty B.O. Preview
- ‘Jason Bourne’ Review: Matt Damon Is Back On The Run – And That’s A Very Good Thing
- Rosamund Pike, Daniel Bruhl & Vincent Cassel In Talks To Board Jose Padilha’s ‘Entebbe’
- Steven Spielberg’s ‘Ready Player One’ Casts Young Newcomer Philip Zhou
- Tribeca Winner ‘Here Alone’ To Get Early 2017 Release Via Vertical Entertainment
- Sony Pictures Division Hit By Losses In Quarterly Earnings