He has been on the big screen in the Big Apple doing Shakespeare a lot over the years but Kenneth Branagh is finally going to make his first appearance on the New York stage in Macbeth next summer. Fresh from a run this summer of the infamous Scottish play at the Manchester International Festival, the recently knighted actor will both co-direct and take on the lead role in the play at NYC’s Park Avenue Armory in June 2014. The actor will be joined in the New York Macbeth at the 55,000 square feet Armory by former ER star and former Royal Shakespeare Company member Alex Kingston. The actress also played Lady Macbeth in the UK version of the play last month. “I am delighted that we have the chance to recreate Macbeth in this epic setting,” said Branagh in a statement today. Though well known for his film turns in Henry V, Much Ado About Nothing, As You Like It and 1996’s Hamlet, for which the Thor director was nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay at that year’s Oscars, Macbeth is not only Branagh’s first onstage performance in New York but his first Bard performance since a 2002 role as Richard III.
Kenneth Branagh Set For NYC Stage Debut In ‘Macbeth’ Next Year
What's Hot on Deadline
Bravo Renews & Expands 'Southern Charm', Sets More 'Shahs Of Sunset' & 'Million Dollar Listing New York'
Latest Film News
- ‘Inferno’ Starts Weekend With $800K – Box Office
- UK High Court Orders ISPs To Block 13 Piracy Websites
- Hounds At His Heels, Brad Grey Fights For Paramount’s Future –Part 1
- Doug Liman On The Challenges Of Shooting In The Virtual Reality Format
- SAG-AFTRA Teams With ATA To Pay Actors’ Unclaimed Residuals
- Topher Grace Joins Cast Of ‘Under The Silver Lake’