EXCLUSIVE: Jeffrey Tambor, who starred in Amazon’s comedy pilot Onion News Empire, is set to topline another half-hour Amazon pilot, Jill Soloway’s Transparent. Also cast in the pilot is Gaby Hoffman (Veronica Mars movie). I hear that Tambor is still under option for Onion, which is under consideration for a pickup, so if both pilots go to series, he would do both. Transparent centers on Mort (Jeffrey Tambor) who gathers his three adult kids — Ali (Hoffman), Sarah and Joshua — for a talk about the future, but everyone is shocked to learn that it’s not a financial inheritance at stake, but rather the complex legacy of a secret life as a transgender. Everyone’s relationship — to the world, themselves, and each other — through the lens of boundaries, intimacy, sex and gender — is about to change. Soloway is writing and directing the pilot, using much of the same team — including cinematographer and editor — she worked with on her latest feature, indie Afternoon Delight, which premiered at Sundance and opens later this month. Filming on Transparent is slated to begin in September. Tambor, repped by Gersh and the Burstein recently reprises his Emmy-nominated role on Arrested Development for Netflix.
Jeffrey Tambor To Star In Jill Soloway’s Amazon Comedy Pilot ‘Transparent’
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- USA Network Renews 'Satisfaction', Cancels 'Rush'
- Nielsen Mystery: Why Are ABC's Fast National Ratings Grossly Underreported?
- TV Land Picks Up 'Impastor' & 'Teachers' To Series
- 'Utopia' Moves To Friday, Replaced By 'MasterChef Junior' On Tuesday
- 'Selfie' & 'Manhattan Love Story' Start Soft, Edge Fox Comedies; 'New Orleans' Holds, 'Forever' Drops – Ratings Rat Race
- K.J. Steinberg Inks Overall Deal With Sony TV, Sells Female Cop Drama To CBS