Universal Pictures said today it will release Tate Taylor‘s James Brown movie Get On Up on October 17, 2014. The dating comes after Monday’s news that 42 star Chadwick Boseman has been tapped to play The Godfather of Soul. The pic charts a young boy’s rise from extreme poverty and violence to become one of the most influential black artists in history whose career spanned six decades. This is Taylor’s follow-up to his 2011 Oscar Best Picture nominee The Help. Imagine Entertainment‘s Brian Grazer and Erica Huggins produce with Mick Jagger and Victoria Pearman under their Jagged Films banner. Taylor also serves as a producer, while his Wyolah Films partner John Norris executive produces alongside Trish Hofmann and Peter Afterman. Grazer started the project at a time when Brown was an active part in its development before he died in 2006. The only other film on the docket for 10/17/14 so far is Fox’s Frankenstein.
Universal To Release James Brown Biopic ‘Get On Up’ In October 2014
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Keeps B.O. Treasure From 'Tomb Raider'; How 'I Can Only Imagine' Hit A $17M High Note
Ellen Barkin Says "Never Get Into An Elevator Alone With Terry Gilliam" After His Criticism Of #MeToo Movement
'SNL': Anderson Cooper Addresses White House Firings; John Goodman & Fred Armisen Make Surprise Visits
'Avengers: Infinity War' Already The Best-Selling Superhero Movie In Advance Ticket Sales, Beating 'Black Panther'
Latest Film News
- 'Flower' Blooms In Trio Of Pots; 'Keep The Change' Solid: Specialty Box Office
- Desilu Exploring U.S. Public Offering After Acquisition Of Israel’s Vonetize: Report
- ‘Tomb Raider’ Tops $100M Offshore, Digs Up $41M In China – International Box Office
- ‘The Shape Of Water’ Has Fairy Tale $10M+ China Opening; Crosses $100M Overseas
- Paramount’s ‘Dora The Explorer’ Movie Set For Australia Shoot After Tax Break Concession
- ‘First Match’ And ‘TransMilitary’ Are Among SXSW Audience Award Winners