EXCLUSIVE: Donald Glover has lined up his followup series to Community. The actor-comedian is set to write, executive produce and play the lead in a half-hour comedy, which has landed at FX for development. Tentatively entitled Atlanta, the comedy is set against the backdrop of the Atlanta music scene. Glover grew up in Atlanta and has an active music career as a hip-hop artist, stage name Childish Gambino. I hear several networks were interested in Atlanta but, in addition to the FX comedy brand, Glover also was attracted by the network’s willingness to accommodate his music touring schedule. Glover is free and clear to topline Atlanta as he is no longer a regular on Community and is set to appear in five of the 13 episodes of the cult NBC comedy’s upcoming fifth season. Last season, Glover was attached in second position to an NBC comedy project penned by Matt Hubbard. Glover, repped by CAA, The Schiff Co. and attorney Lev Ginsburg, started off as a writer on 30 Rock before landing the breakout role on Community as former high school quarterback-turned-air conditioning repair annex recruit Troy Barnes. He also has headlined two standup comedy specials.
Donald Glover To Create And Star In Music-Themed FX Comedy Series Project
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- CBS Buys Medical Drama From Sarah Watson & Jason Katims As Put Pilot
- Amblin TV Preps 'Minority Report' Series With 'Godzilla' Writer
- GSN Renews 'It Takes A Church' & 'The Chase'
- WE TV Orders 'Sex Box' Series About Couples Having & Discussing Sex
- Comedy Writer Lindsey Shockley Inks Overall Deal With ABC Studios
- RATINGS RAT RACE: 'Big Brother' & 'Penn & Teller: Fool Us' Perk Up, 'SYTYCD' Slips