Barco has scored a hit in the immersive audio turf war previewed at April’s CinemaCon. Global chain Cinemark is siding with the open sound format employed by Barco’s Auro 11.1 over competitor Dolby Atmos. The theater company has committed to deploying Auro 11.1 in over 150 premium Extreme Digital (XD) screens beginning this year in its “tier one” markets, including North America. Dominant sound specialist Dolby has seen its Dolby Atmos system used exclusively on major studio projects including WB’s Man Of Steel, Pacific Rim, and Gravity, Paramount’s Star Trek Into Darkness, Disney’s Marvel’s Iron Man 3 and Monsters University, and Fox’s Percy Jackson: Sea Of Monsters and Wolverine. Meanwhile Auro 11.1’s major native productions thus far are highlighted by DreamWorks Animation’s The Croods and Fox’s Turbo – a modest start. (Sony’s Elysium was mixed in both Auro 11.1 and Dolby Atmos.) But Cinemark operates 467 theaters in 39 US states, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina and 10 additional Latin American countries, and their business means at least a minor victory for Barco’s immersive audio contender…
Cinemark Makes 150 Screen Commitment To Auro 11.1 Immersive Sound
What's Hot on Deadline
Bernie Sanders: Obama Administration "Should Kill" The AT&T-Time Warner Deal: "Higher Prices & Fewer Choices"
'The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon' Showrunner Josh Lieb Departs For Uni TV Overall Deal, Trio Promoted To Run Show
Latest Film News
- ‘American Pastoral’ Review: Ewan McGregor’s Directorial Debut Deserves A Better Reception
- Warner Bros Sues Innovative Artists For Oscar Screener Piracy Of ‘Creed’ + More
- EuropaCorp Boards English-Language Remake of Japanese Thriller 'Shield of Straw'
- ‘The Conjuring’s Hayes Brothers Writing Duo Sign With CAA
- ‘Madea Halloween’ Gets $28.5M Treat, ‘Jack Reacher,’ $22.8M, ‘Ouija’ Grabs $14M, ‘Joneses’ Tanks – Mon…
- Peter Jackson & Fran Walsh Rev ‘Mortal Engines’; Directing Debut For ‘Hobbit’ VFX Protege Christian…