Fresh off the director’s futuristic actioner Elysium, Sony Pictures has pegged Neill Blomkamp‘s follow-up for March 27, 2015. Chappie is the story of the titular robot with artificial intelligence that is stolen by a pair of gangsters (Ninja and Yolandi Visser of South African rap-rave act Die Antwoord) who want to use the robot for their evil-doing. Sharlto Copley, the villain from Elysium who also starred in Blomkamp’s District 9, will voice Chappie. Blomkamp co-wrote the script with Terri Tatchell and is producing with Simon Kinberg. Sony Pictures and Media Rights Capital are co-producing the film, which begins production in the fall.
Neill Blomkamp’s ‘Chappie’ Gets Spring 2015 Release Date
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- UPDATE: 'Cops' Bryce Dion Killed By Friendly Fire In Omaha While Filming Response To Wendy's Robbery
- Discovery Spikes 'Sons Of Guns' After “Serious And Horrific” New Charges Against Star
- NBC Ups Jenny Groom To SVP Alternative Programming & Development
- Now On Its Own, Millennium Entertainment Acquires David Burris' Thriller 'The World Made Straight'
- Former Discovery Exec Andrew Jackson Joins Grant Mansfield's Plimsoll Productions
- 'Guardians Of The Galaxy' Crosses $500M In Global B.O.