EXCLUSIVE: While NBC is grappling with controversy triggered by its planned miniseries about Former Secretary Of State Hillary Clinton, CBS is putting in development a drama series about a fictional female Secretary of State. Madame Secretary, from Joan Of Arcadia creator Barbara Hall and Oscar winner Morgan Freeman, explores the personal and professional life of a maverick female Secretary of State as she drives international diplomacy, wrangles office politics and balances a complex family life. Hall is writing the project, from CBS TV Studios and Freeman’s Revelations Entertainment. She is executive producing with Revelations’ Freeman, Lori McCreary and Tracy Mercer. Hall is with UTA, Brillstein Entertainment and Ziffren Brittenham; Freeman is with CAA. NBC’s mini Hillary, which has led to the network’s exclusion from GOP primary presidential debates, recounts Clinton’s life as a wife, mother, politician and cabinet member from 1998 to the present, including her four-year stint as Secretary of State. The project is still looking for a studio after a deal with Fox TV Studios fell through.
CBS Developing Female Secretary Of State Drama From Barbara Hall & Morgan Freeman
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Comedy Central Orders '@DadBoner' Animated Pilot Based On Twitter Feed
- NBC Nabs Kari Lizer Mom Comedy With Put Pilot Commitment
- HBO Ups Amy Gravitt, Nick Hall, David Levine & Francesca Orsi To SVP
- BOOM! Studios Inks First-Look Deal With 20th Century Fox TV
- Kevin Frazier Moves From 'The Insider' To 'ET'; Louis Aguirre To Replace Him
- Rachel Brosnahan To Star In CBS Miniseries 'The Dovekeepers'