Billionaire investor Carl Icahn again took to Twitter to chat up Apple — just more than a week after he tweeted he has “a large position” in the computer giant, believes it to be “extremely undervalued” and spoke with CEO Tim Cook about it all. Today, he tweeted: “Spoke to Tim. Planning dinner in September. Tim believes in buyback and is doing one. What will be discussed is magnitude.” Icahn last week had told Reuters that Apple should repurchase $150 billion worth of its shares after borrowing the funds at an interest rate of 3%, saying the stock should trade at $700 if earnings increase as little as 10% and his advice was followed. Last week’s tweet helped boost Apple stock — down 23.4% over the last 12 months — by 5%; today Apple is mostly flat and is trading at $502.73 a share, up about 13 points since Icahn confirmed his stake rumored to be worth about $1 billion. In March, Apple announced plans to buy $100B of its shares by the end of 2015, calling it the largest share buyback of any company in history. At the time, it raised its dividend 15% to $3.05 a share. Of course famed corporate raider Icahn has played less nice with media-centric companies before including Blockbuster Video and more famously Lionsgate.
Carl Icahn Says He’s Meeting With Apple’s Tim Cook About Stock Buyback
What's Hot on Deadline
'Uncharted' Reconfigured: 'Spider-Man Homecoming's Tom Holland To Play Young Nathan Drake For Shawn Levy
'Criminal Minds': Kirsten Vangsness & A.J. Cook In Limbo Over Parity Push As Joe Mantegna & Matthew Gray Gubler Re-Up
Universal Brands New Monster Movies As 'Dark Universe'; Bill Condon's 'Bride Of Frankenstein' Up Next In 2019 - Video
Why 'Alien: Covenant' Lost Its Bite At The B.O. With $36.1M Opening, -34% From 'Prometheus' -- Box Office Final
Latest Film News
- The Orchard Lands Cannes Competition Pic ‘BPM’; Samuel Goldwyn Inhales Tribeca’s ‘Holy Air’
- ‘The Originals’ Danielle Campbell Boards 'You Can Choose Your Family'
- Why ‘Alien: Covenant’ Lost Its Bite At The B.O. With $36.1M Opening, -34% From ‘Prometheus’ — Box Office…
- ‘The Wizard Of Lies’ Production Designer Laurence Bennett On Crafting A Dickensian Nightmare
- ‘Resident Evil’ Franchise Reboot: James Wan On Board To Produce From Greg Russo Script
- Barry Jenkins On ‘The Underground Railroad’ And The Power Of “No” – Deadline Disruptors