Matt Smith’s replacement as the Tardis travelling Time Lord will be announced on August 4 in a live Doctor Who special on BBC America, the broadcaster said today. Hosted by Zoe Ball, the half hour Doctor Who Live: The Next Doctor will air at 11 AM PT and will be shown on BBC One in the UK simultaneously. The BBC says the actor taking over the role of the Twelfth Doctor Who will be interviewed on the show as will Smith, the show’s EP Steven Moffat, past Doctors and other guests. It was announced in early June that Smith would be leaving the role of the Eleventh Doctor after nearly four years. He is shooting his final episode now, and will depart later this year. The news comes as the series preps a 50th anniversary special set for November 23. The new Doctor will make his or her debut in the annual Christmas Special.
BBC America To Reveal New Doctor Who This Weekend
What's Hot on Deadline
'Martian' 2nd-Best Opening For October, Damon & Scott Despite Losing Fuel Sunday; Verdi Trips 'Walk' - B.O. Postmortem
'Collateral Beauty' Director Alfonso Gomez-Rejon Exits Project Over Creative Differences With Studio
Latest TV News
- ABC Buys Legal Drama ‘Conviction’ From Mark Gordon Company As Put Pilot
- ‘Gotham’ EP On Tonight’s Joker Origin Shocker & Honoring The Batman Legacy
- Roger Bart Joins ‘Graves’ On Epix; Tembi Locke In USA Pilot ‘Shooter’
- Harvey Weinstein & BBC Debut ‘War And Peace’ Footage, Talk Future Collaborations – Mipcom
- Does Lionsgate Have Starz In Its Eyes?
- Nancy Drew Drama Series In Works At CBS